2010 SLS DVD/Nav Unit

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
teamDATA

I am taking my car into the dealership for its third Kenwood DNX series DVD/Nav unit. I want to know which Kenwood DNX units are installed into your cars.
I know the second one installed into my car isn't the same as the original. The second one is way old and no longer sold anywhere.

So, please list what Kenwood DNX series DVD/Nav unit is installed in your Kizashi. Thanks.
lookin

if you must get a kenwood get the dnx 9960...the one suzuki use is crap....if yo want in my opinion an even better unit get pioneer z120bt...i got both and pioneer is better.....not to say 9960 aint good its a helluva unit
teamDATA

The tech from Kenwood called me after I have gone through two Kenwood units. The unit that comes with the Kizashi is custom made from Suzuki, Kenwood, and Rockford. The unit is a DNX6020EX.
The first unit rebooted a few times when playing a MP3 disc. Suzuki replaced it. The second unit installed did not play any type of CD or DVD. That is when Kenwood called.
Kenwood shipped a third unit and Suzuki installed it today. So far it is working fine.
I updated the Garmin software using a microSD card. That went smoothly.
The DNX6020EX is pretty much identical to the DNX6960.
I sent them an email asking how, or if, the firmware could, or should, be updated. We shall see what they say.
lookin

the rebooting has nothing to do with suzuki thats a know problem software issue with kenwood ....happy your up and running still think you shoulda got the 9960......but that would been out of your own pocket ..much better unit most kinks worked out from kenwood.....
teamDATA

Thanks lookin. If it goes out again, we'll see.
mapeterson2

Agreed on the 9960 if you want a Kenwood. It's VERY nice.
2005 Pontiac GTO - 375 rwhp
2001 Ford Ranger XLT - Stock w/ 6 inch lift
teamDATA

Just a quick update, the unit does not play movies. I repeat, does not. The instruction books says to use the remote. Well, you do not get a remote with the unit. Back to Denver Suzuki.
mapeterson2

Wow, that's retarded lol
2005 Pontiac GTO - 375 rwhp
2001 Ford Ranger XLT - Stock w/ 6 inch lift
skNow

Is replacement of the DNX6020EX the only option? I just purchased a Kizashi 2011 SLS and have a similar problem - the DVD doesn't display the video (although the sound and title info is available).
~tc~

The unit in my 2011 plays movies, I've done it ... the ebrake has to be on though.

Is there anyway to unlock the "normal" Kenwood settings? The Safe Mode on the Nav has to go ...
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic