License plate lights

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
murcod

Did you remove the boot lid interior carpet and do it from the inside? It is a pain to change them - the whole assembly they're housed in is a very strange design with tight access.
David
uzz32

murcod wrote:Did you remove the boot lid interior carpet and do it from the inside? It is a pain to change them - the whole assembly they're housed in is a very strange design with tight access.
Yes, mate. I removed the boot lining, unplugged the wiring, and then tried to remove the black hard plastic cover that's marked with 'R' (for 'Right'). I couldn't get it off with my bare hands and had to use a screw driver to pry it open. I am beginning to think that I am missing something, since the owner's manual doesn't mention anything about using a screwdriver.
murcod

It's the same way I did it, but all I can remember is it was extremely tight and hard to get my hand in there.
David
CLLee

The black plastic cover slides a little to the side to be removed (can't remember left or right).

As for the bulb. I use a short flat head screw driver to gently pop one end off the housing.
Similarly, installing a new bulb, I place one end of the bulb into the pin hold, rest the other end in the corner of the compartment, and then use the screwdriver to push/wedge it into the pin hole.
Also, it's easier to look from the outside through the transparent cover.
MrMeaty

Just got around to replacing these this week. Didn't make sense reading until I did it so I made a video.
As stated previously, you just pull on the black tab to the side to get the cover off and there is a metal tab to push back to release the bulb. These are NOT the same size as the rear dome light (at least on a US 2013 base model). These are a bit longer, but that's the size I originally purchased. 36mm festoon. I did, however, get them to fit into the rear dome as well but I had to bend the crap out of the connectors...loosing one of them in the headliner in the process. Glad I got a 10 pack...

2013 Black S CVT
8k HID and interior LED swap
This project is just beginning
DesRado

I dread if I have to replace the LP lights again. What a pita.

Mine are yellow to match my fog lights.
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

BLyons

I just pulled that whole bar out that they sit in. Easier than trying to maneuver a bulb into place that you can't see.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
TRaj2327

I just had to do mine. Watch the video posted above and follow these steps and it is quite easy.

- Remove the handle inside the trunk lid (the handle itself is two pieces and there is a clip inside that holds it to the trunk lid). Use a flathead screwdriver to pop the cover open. You'll clearly see the seam that you need to get the screwdriver behind.
- Remove all the clips on the trunk liner to remove the entire panel with a flathead screwdriver (you'll have to wiggle it around the internal trunk release and behind the arms that support the trunk. Really easy.
- Unplug the harnesses.
- The black covers on both sides slide toward the center of the trunk then sort of lift from the inward/center side and pull to remove them. (the video shows this well and the left side will be a mirror image of the right side)
- Each bulb is held in place by a clips...the outer ones flex a bit to make remove/install easier. They'll pop out pretty easily if you can push that clip and leverage a screwdriver on the end of the bulb. Avoid pressing on the glass of the bulb itself so you don't accidentally break it.
- Reinstall in reverse order. (if you went with LEDs make sure you have them oriented correctly otherwise you'll be doing this all over again)

You will make all easier and remove the awkward angles if you sit on the edge of the trunk like in the video to make all of this directly over your head. I'd recommend just doing both of them while you're in there. Bulbs are cheap and this will take about 20 minutes. Probably worth the few dollars to just do them both while you're in there. If you want to go the LED route, check https://www.superbrightleds.com/ A pair with shipping will still be less than the cost of a single bulb at Autozone, Advance or any other store and you'll get them in just a few days.
2011 Black Kizashi SLS - DD
- EBC Brakes
- 10% tint & debadged
2015 White Jeep Wrangler Altitude - Wife's ride
2004 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX - Garage queen
LPSISRL

This is an excellent write up as I had to do mine today before state inspection. Maybe sticky it in the tech section? It is tedious for just a bulb. I decided to replace both with LEDs and be done with it. Hopefully never again. Wish I would have read this before the little project. Would have saved me some time. I do despise this bulb design. I find them very difficult to remove and replace in a confined space like the trunk (boot) lid. They never want to go in straight with both ends finding the little holes.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
Petr