The Kizashi is sensitive to oil quality

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
LPSISRL

I know this gets into the old "how often should I change my oil" discussion but my long standing opinion is that most (not all) motor oil of the correct viscosity is going to protect the engine just about equally well provided you change it when you should. Most of us (including myself) change it much more often than is necessary and contribute to the waste oil problem. Suzuki says 7500 miles and that's using dino-oil. Synthetics or blends can go longer. Much longer. Suzuki has a 100K mile warranty and if 7500 miles between changes put that warranty in any danger, they would have a shorter interval to protect themselves. I really believe that that we should put the type and brand that makes us happy but in the long run, it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I think our local legend who pounds the snot out of his SLS goes pretty long between changes and has had zero engine problems on two different Kizashis. That correct WESHOOT2?
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
WESHOOT2

Been my experience.
My dealer uses a 5W-20 semi-synthetic blend.
Ronzuki

Up to a certain point this is true. Cylinder washdown contaminants can't be removed from the oil any other way than by replacing the oil. The solution to pollution is dilution. Synthetics hold up better, hence longer, to the combustion process than dino juice. Sludge, to this day, is still an engine killer. My brother does pre-sale inspections for a major east coast auto auction and routinely flags cars, many of which are high-dollar lease returns, for sludge issues. Read "I don't own the car so I don't have to change the oil". That stupidity finds its way back to the lessee eventually after the auction report tells the lease company they have to announce 'sludge' when the car hits the auction block. Or, fix it before it goes on the block. That of course has a serious negative dollar impact on the value of the vehicle.

I've been changing my Kizashi's oil at around the 7500 mark for the warranty after starting out at 5k, as I always have, mainly because I hate changing the oil in the thing. Not so much the cost, it's a pain in the ass compared to SUVs, Jeeps and trucks that I've driven my whole life. Oil analysis would be the only way to determine an extended interval change. And that costs, so why bother...just change it. My, eyes nose and fingers tell me that 7500 miles is about as far as I'll go in the K anyway.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
golftango

WESHOOT2 wrote:Been my experience.
Then they are using the incorrect weight. Suzuki calls for 5W30
2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
KuroNekko

golftango wrote:
WESHOOT2 wrote:Been my experience.
Then they are using the incorrect weight. Suzuki calls for 5W30
You're right that Suzuki calls for 5W-30 but that's the "recommended" weight. Engines can actually run various weights and what actually determines the appropriate weight is the temperature of your environment. 5W-30 is basically the optimal weight in the broadest range of temperatures but it's not like using 5W-20 is the "incorrect" weight. However, the slightly thicker 5W-30 will offer better film protection than 5W-20 in most cases for our engine. On the other hand, Weshoot2 lives in Vermont which often sees some very cold winter temperatures and probably never gets as hot as the more southern states in the summer time. Because of this, he's likely fine using 5W-20. However, someone living in the Australian Outback, the Southwestern USA, and other desert areas should stick with 5W-30 and a synthetic would be even better.
My guess in why his dealer uses 5W-20 is because he works at a Honda dealer and modern Hondas generally call for 5W-20. Basically, they are filling his car with what they have the most of for Hondas that they service. While 5W-30 would be best, the difference between 5W-20 and 5W-30 isn't too important, especially for him living in Vermont.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote: I've been changing my Kizashi's oil at around the 7500 mark for the warranty after starting out at 5k, as I always have, mainly because I hate changing the oil in the thing. Not so much the cost, it's a pain in the ass compared to SUVs, Jeeps and trucks that I've driven my whole life. Oil analysis would be the only way to determine an extended interval change. And that costs, so why bother...just change it. My, eyes nose and fingers tell me that 7500 miles is about as far as I'll go in the K anyway.
I have exactly the same sentiment and observations. Despite my love for cars and working on them, it's a pain in the ass to change oil, especially when you don't have the convenience of a garage. I also find that 7500 miles is about the right OCI for the Kizashi based on how the oil looks at that point. I use a quality full synthetic so I'm not too worried about changing it any sooner than that point either, especially given I always use top tier oil filters.
WESHOOT2

Misunderstanding:

I do my Suzuki services at the Suzuki dealership ONLY. The Suzuki dealer uses 5W-20 in my K.

I've had my aftermarket brakes and shocks, and tire stuff, done here at my BMW / Honda / Mercedes / Mini dealership where I sell Hondas.
But My Suzuki goes to Suzuki (we checked this week: 44 closed ROs).
KuroNekko

WESHOOT2 wrote:Misunderstanding:

I do my Suzuki services at the Suzuki dealership ONLY. The Suzuki dealer uses 5W-20 in my K.

I've had my aftermarket brakes and shocks, and tire stuff, done here at my BMW / Honda / Mercedes / Mini dealership where I sell Hondas.
But My Suzuki goes to Suzuki (we checked this week: 44 closed ROs).
Thanks for the correction. By any chance, did they explain why they use 5W-20 instead of 5W-30? Also, what are they selling now for new cars? Or did they become a used car lot for the dealership network like my local Suzuki dealer?
WESHOOT2

I only happened to notice the weight due to a prior query about tranny fluid, so I didn't ask.
'Cause I don't care much, figuring they know what they're doing.

They sell Mitsubishis, too; were a side-by-side until Suzuki bailed.
LPSISRL

Honda is known for quality engines with precise tolerances so a slightly thinner oil may offer better lubrication as it would flow into the tight spaces better. My wife's '05 Odyssey uses the same 5W-20.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)