Rear Shock failure issue and TSB & Warranty Repair

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
fjroman2

Thanks all - any idea where we get the new bump stoppers? Would you think the OEMs are only available from the dealer?

Updated - I called the dealer and I am shocked (no pun intended). :facepalm:

I was initially provided a quote of $487 to replace the 2 rear shocks, but the Suzuki service guy was not there at the time. Today I called to get a quote on just the parts and wow, that quote was NOT correct.

This is what I found today:
Bump Stopper - $43.60/ea
Shock - $237.64/ea
Nut - $8.03/ea (TSB says not to reuse the old parts)
Bolt - $15.28/ea (TSB says not to reuse the old parts)
Total - $304.55/ea - WTF!!!
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD - Premium Silver
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
2013 Honda Pilot (wife's vehicle)
KuroNekko

That quote is on par with any comparable car to replace the rear shock components at a dealership. I regret to admit I once paid $800 for a dealership to replace the rear shocks on my former Mazda before I got into doing suspension work myself.
If you're comfortable wrenching on cars, then I suggest replacing the rear shocks yourself. It's really not that hard and I did so recently for a different Mazda3 to install KYB Excel-G rear shocks. The process looks no different for a Kizashi.

You can get the proper rear bump stoppers for about $25 each on monsterfactoryparts.com
You can get the KYB rear shocks for about $45 each on rockauto.com.
You can go for the OE Suzuki shock for Sport models on monsterfactoryparts.com for about $150 each if you preferred to get the original part.

I wouldn't even bother with replacing the nuts and bolts although it's recommended. In fact, the Excel-G comes with a new nut in my recent experience with the Mazda3's shock.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
fjroman2

Thank you for providing the locations for the parts! I wasn't sure where to go for that stuff...
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD - Premium Silver
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
2013 Honda Pilot (wife's vehicle)
SamirD

So I noticed a 'thunk' noise from the passenger rear shock recently and consistently. And sure enough I noticed that it was leaking when changing the tires to winter again. :( So it seems that Milwaukee roads are rough enough to ruin shocks in under 2 years. :o

So now I'm wondering about the KW shocks that some of our friends on the German Kizashi forum have installed. I wonder if getting a set of those for the rear would be a better way to go.
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:So I noticed a 'thunk' noise from the passenger rear shock recently and consistently. And sure enough I noticed that it was leaking when changing the tires to winter again. :( So it seems that Milwaukee roads are rough enough to ruin shocks in under 2 years. :o

So now I'm wondering about the KW shocks that some of our friends on the German Kizashi forum have installed. I wonder if getting a set of those for the rear would be a better way to go.
I think the KWs are sold as a set with the springs for all four corners. Plus, they are significantly more firm from what I've seen discussed about them. I think the best thing to do is get the revised bump stopper and then replace the rear shocks with the OE Suzuki shocks. The aftermarket KYBs are a cheaper option, but likely don't have the proper valving for the Sport models. They'll work, but won't be optimal, apparently.

Rear shocks are easy to replace. I just did the front suspension for a Mazda3 yesterday. It's a lot more work than the rears and I didn't even have to reuse the spring. Pre-built struts are so much better to deal with, but even then, more work than the rear shocks.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
SamirD wrote:So I noticed a 'thunk' noise from the passenger rear shock recently and consistently. And sure enough I noticed that it was leaking when changing the tires to winter again. :( So it seems that Milwaukee roads are rough enough to ruin shocks in under 2 years. :o

I think the KWs are sold as a set with the springs for all four corners. Plus, they are significantly more firm from what I've seen discussed about them. I think the best thing to do is get the revised bump stopper and then replace the rear shocks with the OE Suzuki shocks. The aftermarket KYBs are a cheaper option, but likely don't have the proper valving for the Sport models. They'll work, but won't be optimal, apparently.

Rear shocks are easy to replace. I just did the front suspension for a Mazda3 yesterday. It's a lot more work than the rears and I didn't even have to reuse the spring. Pre-built struts are so much better to deal with, but even then, more work than the rear shocks.
I wouldn't mind the stiffness as the stock ride is now quite worn. I'm sure the KWs will wear out more to my liking. :mrgreen:

I had the recall performed so I have the revised stops and even got replacement shocks. It doesn't sound like a hard part replacement, but I definitely don't want to have to be doing it every few years.
FrankoLaMoya

Hi guys....need your advice ASAP! I went to the garage for an oïl change this past weekend and was advised that one of my rear shocks is leaking bad. I am currently at 85 000 km with my 2012 Kizashi (Canadian model). I called the previous Suzuki dealership where I bought it and was informed the TSB would not apply as there is no TSB listed for the canadian models. Can someone explain that to me? Most of the parts are the same, but the government only issue a TSB for the US models? I also bought an extended warranty and I guess it is not covered either.
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
SamirD

FrankoLaMoya wrote:Hi guys....need your advice ASAP! I went to the garage for an oïl change this past weekend and was advised that one of my rear shocks is leaking bad. I am currently at 85 000 km with my 2012 Kizashi (Canadian model). I called the previous Suzuki dealership where I bought it and was informed the TSB would not apply as there is no TSB listed for the canadian models. Can someone explain that to me? Most of the parts are the same, but the government only issue a TSB for the US models? I also bought an extended warranty and I guess it is not covered either.
What trim do you have? Do you hear any noise from the rear when going over bumps?

Even with the TSB and revised bumpstop and new shocks, ours wore out after a little over a year. Looking back now, I would have rather just left the stock unit as it may have lasted just as long and saved a day to get the work done.
FrankoLaMoya

I have the sport model. I do hear a noise when going over bumps, but I guess the TSB does not apply canadian models which is odd...
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
SamirD

FrankoLaMoya wrote:I have the sport model. I do hear a noise when going over bumps, but I guess the TSB does not apply canadian models which is odd...
Yep, that does sounds like the problem in the usa tsb. Odd that it didn't apply to other markets.