How to Change: Spark Plugs

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote:
Ronzuki wrote:What's the recommended service interval on plug replacement ?
US owner's manual states every 60,000 miles. This is both for normal and severe driving conditions.
OK, thanks. :oops: ...I'm overdue.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

I'm near 95K and now considering a plug change............great write-up; might do it meself.
WESHOOT2

LFR6AIX-11. Stock No. 6619.
I bought four tonight for $36.

I'll try to get them in tomorrow.
I'm at 105,080 miles.
chazyouwin

I just did the change myself this evening thanks to this write-up at 65k miles with NGK iridium laser per spec. Nice improvement. Some notes: (1) the electrical connectors required some learning - pressing a screwdriver against the little plastic ridges proved efficient; (2) with a torque wrench set at just under 240 inch -foot (18 foot pound foot is 216 inch foot) the quarter rotations were about 60 per plug to tighten; (3) the side-to-side play in rotating in seemed a bit weird. I took the opportunity to clean the engine cover with garden hose and soaked the under cover insulation - hope that dries out nicely. Left the neighbors all agape - in this neighborhood no one knows how to do anything with cars. Love being different - that's the nature of a Kiz owner.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
KlutzNinja

Here’s a video of the spark plug replacement process. It seems pretty straightforward and quick; how long does it take you guys to do all four?
I’m a little over 61k miles and earlier tonight the ignition took way too long to happen. I almost thought it wouldn’t work. My first suspect was the battery, but that was installed new right before I got my Kizashi back in April of last year. Wouldn’t be surprised if the “new” battery wasn’t all that new (used car dealers, amiright?) but it should last longer than 1.5 years. From what I’ve read, the average lifespan is 3-5 years.

I was told it could be the starter, but 60k is around the time the spark plugs should be replaced, so that’s why it’s my current prime suspect.

Pep Boys seems to sell individual spark plugs for pretty cheap (there’s an occasional discount on many items when you buy online and pick up in store) so I may go that route. Hopefully they have the kind KuroNekko mentioned.

This fellow probably has more Kizashi repair videos on YouTube than anyone else. They’re fairly straightforward and of pretty good resolution. I haven’t really had to do many/any of the fixes he’s shown but they help visualize what needs to be done. I’m sure a few of you have seen his uploads.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KlutzNinja

KlutzNinja wrote:Pep Boys seems to sell individual spark plugs for pretty cheap (there’s an occasional discount on many items when you buy online and pick up in store) so I may go that route. Hopefully they have the kind KuroNekko mentioned.
So turns out they do and they’re $6 a pop with the online 20%-off parts & accessories sale (normally $8). Not bad. There are a lot of other platinum/iridium spark plugs for even cheaper, but NGK seems to be well-regarded here so that’s good enough for me.
I’m guessing prices will vary by region. Maybe the availability of the online sale itself, too lol.
Disclaimer: not everything is covered under this sale, just a lot of stuff. It makes the prices comparable to Amazon, and are occasionally even favorable. Plus you can buy online and pick up later that day, rather than wait days for the Amazon shipment to arrive. There isn’t a Walmart in my town so IDK about how that compares. Pep Boys seems to have this sort of sale all the time, too.

https://www.pepboys.com/ngk-iridium-ix- ... quantity=1
Last edited by KlutzNinja on Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
SAEED_KIZZY

KlutzNinja wrote:Here’s a video of the spark plug replacement process. It seems pretty straightforward and quick; how long does it take you guys to do all four?
I’m a little over 61k miles and earlier tonight the ignition took way too long to happen. I almost thought it wouldn’t work. My first suspect was the battery, but that was installed new right before I got my Kizashi back in April of last year. Wouldn’t be surprised if the “new” battery wasn’t all that new (used car dealers, amiright?) but it should last longer than 1.5 years. From what I’ve read, the average lifespan is 3-5 years.

I was told it could be the starter, but 60k is around the time the spark plugs should be replaced, so that’s why it’s my current prime suspect.

Pep Boys seems to sell individual spark plugs for pretty cheap (there’s an occasional discount on many items when you buy online and pick up in store) so I may go that route. Hopefully they have the kind KuroNekko mentioned.

This fellow probably has more Kizashi repair videos on YouTube than anyone else. They’re fairly straightforward and of pretty good resolution. I haven’t really had to do many/any of the fixes he’s shown but they help visualize what needs to be done. I’m sure a few of you have seen his uploads.
yes awesome channel I love it :D