Service Engine

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

Woodie wrote:I've never turned off any car to fill it up, ever in my life. Probably 1.5 million miles.
I believe turning off the engine is required by law in some places.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

HAH! We don't even want to ruin this thread with that discussion.

I follow the laws that I agree with.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

Woodie wrote:I follow the laws that I agree with.
hah, my kinda guy!

Back in the day when you actually had to give an engine a real tune-up (pre-EFI) cars back-fired all the time. Sure, excellent idea to turn it off. Now with modern (stingy) fuel control and all of the "spark arrestors" present between the cylinders and tailpipe (cats, pre-cats, resonators...) it's of no concern to me, even though I do shut down 99% of the time. The idiot with the lit cigarette in his her mouth pumping gas...now they're the ones that need a talking to, or not...cull the heard some more. I rarely turn of any vehicle off refueling in dead of winter during those single digit and teen days.

Problem w/ nanny-state laws...they're rarely re-evaluated for relevance.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:The idiot with the lit cigarette in his her mouth pumping gas...now they're the ones that need a talking to, or not...cull the heard some more.
Seen this? :lol:

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

I was working in a gas station during the first oil crisis with an old guy who looked down the filler neck with a lit cigarette in his mouth all day long. He had been doing it for forty years. Gas is not that easy to light, you can put a cigarette out by throwing it in a bucket of gasoline. Stupid thing to do, one time out of ten thousand it's going to catch, but fairly good odds if you're a daredevil. Open flame like that fool above, is a different story.
LPSISRL

When I was a kid, I heard that you could put a match out by dropping it in a cup of gas so I tried it. It did not go out. The cup was plastic. It melted. It started the street on fire as the ring spread out to about six feet. I ran and hid as flames rose to over six feet and billows of thick black smoke rose heaven-ward. I prayed it would go out and that nobody would call the fire department. It went out by itself and there were no sirens. I no longer believed that you could put out something burning in gasoline. But that's just me.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
Dark Blue

My service light just came on too a few days ago. I have a 2011 Kizzy. Are you guys sure it doesn't mean time for a spark plugs change? That was what it meant on my last two cars ('97 Elantra, '01 Impreza). I always tighten my gas cap to click.
Ronzuki

A CEL can mean a plethora of things. Have the code read somewhere...IF it's a minor evap leak code and the cap has ben tightened, replace the gas cap. The seal goes bad over time.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Speed_Racer

Autozone/NAPA/etc will pull codes for you for free - that will tell you exactly what's going on vs. just throwing parts at it.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
Woodie

Kizashi does not have an indicator to tell you when to do scheduled service. If you are talking about a yellow light with a horrible cartoon of an engine, that is called the Malfunction Indicator Lamp, (MIL). There are thousands of codes it could be, you need to scan it with an OBD2 reader to get the error code. Most parts stores will scan it free because they assume you will buy something from them to fix it.