Next Generation Suzuki Jimny Spotted in Testing

If it has an S on the front you can talk about it here.
KuroNekko

The ancient but beloved Suzuki SUV is due for a next gen release next year. The vehicle will likely debut in the following months but some test mules with camo have been spotted.

The next Jimny looks to stay true to its traditional form and remain a body-on-frame SUV with low range 4x4. It's essentially a baby Wrangler as it always has been. The new design makes it look closer to a baby Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen though.

Ah, sigh. Can't get them here.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Onikarge

Even with camo paint the mule let us see its wonderful lines: clean, pure, maybe a bit naive, but lovely...really it looks like a nice toy car come true.
Ronzuki

...that'll go places in stock form a wrangler can only dream about. Yeah, SIGH, back in 2010-2011 I was really beginning to think we had a shot at seeing the Jimny here.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

There are some renders that hint at the styling under the camo, but they look too amateurish to me. While the sources state the leak came directly from Suzuki and the styling can't differ too much looking at the shape under the camo, the render looks too cartoonish to me, especially of the front. Regardless, I'm sure the actual thing won't look too far off.

I also found this which I'm sure isn't going to be the real thing but I think it looks quite good. However, I think Suzuki went with a traditional design following the Samurai more than other current modern Suzukis like the Swift.

We'll see the real deal soon as Suzuki will release it in the following month or so.
Ronzuki

Like the boxy version w/ the retro LJ grille and lights. Dig the bumpers but not the wrangler-ish square-er flares. Most all true Samurai nuts prefer a perfectly round flare. Don't like the last baby-range rover version at all, which, would be what they'd probably bring over here if they were still here.
Ron

KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:Like the boxy version w/ the retro LJ grille and lights. Dig the bumpers but not the wrangler-ish square-er flares. Most all true Samurai nuts prefer a perfectly round flare. Don't like the last baby-range rover version at all, which, would be what they'd probably bring over here if they were still here.
Ah, Land Rover! Your comment helped me figure out why that Jimny render looked somewhat familiar. It reminds me of a cross between a Land Rover and a Mitsubishi SUV. I must admit I like the design, but the spy photos with camo indicate it will have a more boxy and traditional design. While the traditional design may make people wonder why then the next gen Jimny is a big deal, consider that the current generation has been offered for an astonishing 19 years! It's so old it makes Frontiers and Lancers look fresh.
Ronzuki

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Ron

KuroNekko

Oddly, Suzuki didn't seem to debut the 2018 Jimny at the Tokyo Auto Show, contrary to what nearly every publication covering the 2018 Jimny development stated. The Auto Show began late October and is coming to an end soon. Maybe there was confusion between the 2018 Jimny and the e-Survivor concept. The e-Survivor is a concept shown by Suzuki at this auto show to hint at an electrified future for Suzuki's 4x4s. It's an 4x4 that meshes old school 4x4 tech like a ladder frame chassis with cutting edge tech like an electric motor in each wheel. While that's interesting and all, I think more people wanted a debut of the next Jimny, not an outlandish concept.
Regardless, here's the e-Survivor concept that was at the Tokyo Auto Show.

Ronzuki

Epic fail. Electric motors in an off-roader...that gets submerged...what could go wrong?
Looks like something the boyz-in-da-hood would be all over though. Maybe that's their next target group.
Ron

KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:Epic fail. Electric motors in an off-roader...that gets submerged...what could go wrong?
Looks like something the boyz-in-da-hood would be all over though. Maybe that's their next target group.
Haha, I predicted your response. It is rather wacky but I do see some Samurai and X-90 styling influences... not sure if that's a good thing. As for the electric motors, I think they are beneficial. Batteries and motors are easier to seal and waterproof than an ICE that needs to breathe. Furthermore, an electric motor in each wheel brings about wonders in performance. That's 100% torque potential from 0 RPM in each wheel. Furthermore, the vehicle will be able to rotate on its own axis, giving it unprecedented mobility. Also, electric motors have more configuration flexibility and as this concept vehicle shows, features like portal axles to further raise ground clearance will probably be easier and cheaper to implement.

Some have already put in electric drivetrains in classic offroaders like the Jeep Wrangler and have proved electric motors aren't taking a back seat in offroad prowess. The vehicle below shows a Wrangler with batteries and an electric motor to replace the powertrain but kept the original drivetrain. Even then, it's performing remarkably well in the offroad courses.

The concern for me isn't the offroad prowess or water issues. It's range. EVs are limited in range and cannot easily be recharged on the go in a remote area like a fossil fuel vehicle with jerry cans. It's easy to mount a 5 gallon can on a 4x4 for extra range. That's not quite easy with a full electric vehicle. While I'm all for EVs for city vehicles and commuting, I think offroaders need to at least be PHEVs until EVs yield ranges in excess of 500 miles. This is why I like the direction Mitsubishi has taken and they claim they will implement PHEV systems in more of their SUVs, including the next Montero/Pajero.