$12 Mobil Oil Rebate until 10/31/18

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Ronzuki

For all you DIYers that use Mobil engine oil, came across the rebate below whilst surfing around for GDI engine oil specs (for the 2018 CX-5 Mazda). I had put M1 HM in the Kiz, purchased at Wally-World about a month ago. Dug out the receipt and submitted online for the rebate. My jug of M1 HM only ended up costing me 11 bucks. :) If you use/used M1 EP and M1 filter, rebate is $17. I opted for a mailed check (nice to get them in the box every once in awhile ;) )

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil ... oil-coupon

Edit: Just noticed Walmart isn't on the 'participating retailers list'....we'll see what happens.
Last edited by Ronzuki on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Ronzuki

While on the topic of oil....many of us own other, newer, vehicles. And many of them are GDI, Gasoline Direct Injected engines. Some food for thought below.

My Mazda's Direct Injection bothers me from a longevity aspect and have been looking into ways to prevent the carbon build-up issues. Some interesting articles. I particularly like the first link since these are the guys that see the good, the bad and the ugly regarding many aspects of many engines...the re-builders, and NOT the manufacturer's dealer's service shops.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/10 ... tions-gdi/

Interesting that the gov mandated mpg pie-in-the-sky BS doesn't compel oil manufactures to update their oil specs and additive packages PRIOR to mandating auto manufactures to squeeze blood from a stone (increase mpg numbers by doing things that don't maintain some type of minimum vehicle life cost-effective and reliable life-span standard). These DI engines have been around in main-stream average joe vehicles since 2012-ish. SN-plus oils mainstreaming about a year or so ago. The ISAC GF-6 definition is still somewhere in the future.

https://www.petrochoice.com/with-ilsac- ... curb-lspi/
Ron

DiggerDerrik

My wife has a 16 explorer with a DI eco boost. I share your longevity worries Ronzuki. When her engine warranty is up I absolutely plan to do a catch can with reroute of the crank case ventilation system. Hopefully the valves aren’t completely caked by then.

Here’s the video that I got some education on the subject from. It’s on a Ford but I think this would apply to just about any turbo DI engine
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
Ronzuki

The 2018 Mazda CX5 has some type of built-in factory 'catch can' attached to the side of the engine block below the intake. Unfortunately, it's below the intake, and requires the intake to be removed to access it. I'm a little more comforted by this, however, not sure of how it functions yet. Haven't been able to determine if/how/where the 'caught' oil is routed. Regardless of turbo'd or not, I'm going to religiously be doing 5,000 mile oil changes w/ the best oil formulation available to combat the issue and hope the factory catch can does its job. I could add a can upstream of the factory one that I can drain as well. Contemplating.
Ron

BLyons

I'm going to piggy back off of this topic to mention that Pennzoil has a $10 mail-in rebate on their synthetics until the end of the year with no limitations on retailers. It can be up to a $20 rebate if you choose to receive your rebate as Shell Fuel Rewards.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Ronzuki

Ronzuki wrote:For all you DIYers that use Mobil engine oil, came across the rebate below whilst surfing around for GDI engine oil specs (for the 2018 CX-5 Mazda). I had put M1 HM in the Kiz, purchased at Wally-World about a month ago. Dug out the receipt and submitted online for the rebate. My jug of M1 HM only ended up costing me 11 bucks. :) If you use/used M1 EP and M1 filter, rebate is $17. I opted for a mailed check (nice to get them in the box every once in awhile ;) )

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil ... oil-coupon

Edit: Just noticed Walmart isn't on the 'participating retailers list'....we'll see what happens.
Our two $12 checks showed up today 8-) ...guess Mobil wasn't terribly concerned with where I purchased the oil.
Ron