The Heep Morphed in to a CX-5

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote: So this turbo you speak of is in addition to the new GDI's quassi-compression ignition SkyActive X business that they're coming out with this year? Or, instead of?
Like Weshoot2 said, the turbo is getting added to the CX-5. It's the same one the Mazda6 already got.
The SkyActiv-X is debuting next year with the all-new 2020 Mazda3. It's going to be the premium engine option. The X will then likely get added to other Mazdas. However, it will likely negatively impact the SkyActiv-D diesel engine and eventually phase them out. Apparently, there isn't much of an efficiency advantage of the diesel over the X.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

I had thought the SkyActive X was supposed to appear in the CX-5s in 2019 when I was researching the 2018's purchase :?
Hadn't noticed anything about a turbo on a premium engine then either.

So are they going the direction of everyone else (2.0T's a-plenty) and slapping a turbo on a tiny engine to make the gov happy? On a DI engine, further stressing the carbon buildup / oil issues, or, on a new MPI engine?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

The new turbo is the same as in the new Mazda6 GT which is a 2.5 liter making 250 HP and 310 lb-ft of torque. Mazda's turbo isn't a small engine as it has the same displacement as the standard 2.5 liter. I think the turbos in the 6 and CX-5 were meant to give the models more optional power as that's what most critics complained about with Mazdas for the last several years. For years, they only offered normally-aspirated 4 bangers in nearly all their cars. The Mazda6 was like the Kizashi in that it only had one engine which was really a base engine. When Mazda had to redesign their aging CX-9, they couldn't use the older 3.7 liter V6 from Ford anymore so they developed the 2.5 liter turbo for that vehicle specifically. They apparently took longer than anticipated to work out the issues most other turbo DI engines have with fouling, etc. The engine has since been put into other models like the Mazda6 and soon, the CX-5. So while the engine is like a small displacement turbo for the larger CX-9 it was designed for, it's a powerful engine option for the 6 and CX-5. I also like the idea that it's not over-stressed. It's a 2.5 liter making 250 HP which sounds like it will be more reliable and last longer than a 2.0 liter pushing 300 HP like many rivals. Mazda is also doing well in reliability so this formula is apparently working for them. If I'm not mistaken, they are the #3 brand in reliability in CR's latest ranking which puts Toyota and Lexus at the top.

The SkyActiv X hasn't been released yet and from what I read, it will debut with the all-new Mazda3 next year. I'm sure Mazda will then offer the X in most other vehicles.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

Yes, it does look like 2020 is the production release date for the X. There's a fleet of strippo 3s running around in Germany right now doing final trials. Hopefully they'll develop a hybrid injection system in the future. That or this 'new' integrated catch-can on the 2018s actually works. No way of knowing without tearing off the intake to have a peak.

Just watched a video on carbon cleaning the back side of the valves (Indonesian guy on a 2016 or 2017 MY CX-5)...not cool, big, tedious, dirty job. The car in the vid had 17,000 miles on it and there was a ridiculous amount of carbon buildup in there. I think I'm going with what I consider to be the trifecta preventative maintenance approach to prolong the inevitable manual cleaning...regular use of Techtron fuel cleaner, the most advanced modern engine oil available at 5k intervals, and my favorite, the Italian tune-up. The CX-5 has a sport mode control setting, so I may just have to leave that on constantly. Gives me an excuse to hammer down... "I'm sorry officer, is there a problem? I was just performing routine maintenance!"
Ron

Ronzuki

and it starts...
Camera Error Display.jpg
Camera Error Display.jpg (240.96 KiB) Viewed 12535 times
Just driving along this morning :drive: , perfectly clear, and good dawn visibility, no rain, clean windshield, wipers off...good thing the human driving still had good visibility aye? :roll: Annoying thing stayed on the rest of the ride to work and hogged up the display area that usually has other info displayed. Couldn't get rid of it. Cleared up after power cycle. Prior to it settling on that error, it was also displaying something about the RACC (radar adaptive cruise control) was disabled below 20mph. The 'puter musta had a brain fart. Cruise wasn't on.
:facepalm:
Ron

WESHOOT2

Around here we call all that safety crap "stuff that doesn't work in a blizzard"; know what I mean?
Ronzuki

Believe me, I'm extremely well aware of automation that doesn't function under adverse conditions.

So the car's got all kinds of safety crap, and yet, it doesn't have simple, useful, heated side mirrors...but it does have "blind spot" warning beeps and blinky lights in the mirrors. Radar here and cameras there, literally out the azz (gov mandated back-up camera). Eh, I'm just the simple-minded human legally responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle right? I'm just not supposed to be able to see what's back there, myself, with the mirrors on my gov mandated uber-safety conscious 2018 mid-level model rolling techno marvel. Apparently, I had to jump up to the most expensive top-o-the-line model to get something as simple, and incredibly, useful as that. Who knew.

Sooo, question for all you safety mongers out there, WHY then are heated side mirrors NOT gov mandated over a lousy, little used, back-up camera? Let me ask my automotive expert representatives. :lol: Hell the wife's mid-level model 2011 SX4 has heated side mirrors. Never even thought to concern myself with whether or not a 2018 anything had them since its been forever since I haven't had them (back to the mid/late-90s and discounting the strippo '14 Heep). Nope, didn't concern myself at all, until, they didn't defrost last week in that foulness we received. What a freaking annoyance this is going to be on a primary winter vehicle.
Ron

Triggerhappy

Ronzuki wrote:
Sooo, question for all you safety mongers out there, WHY then are heated side mirrors NOT gov mandated over a lousy, little used, back-up camera? Let me ask my automotive expert representatives. :lol: Hell the wife's mid-level model 2011 SX4 has heated side mirrors. Never even thought to concern myself with whether or not a 2018 anything had them since its been forever since I haven't had them (back to the mid/late-90s and discounting the strippo '14 Heep). Nope, didn't concern myself at all, until, they didn't defrost last week in that foulness we received. What a freaking annoyance this is going to be on a primary winter vehicle.
My guess is that not all parts of the US gets ice in the Winter but you may back over a kid everywhere? :)
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's
Ronzuki

Just about everybody gets some sort of fog on their mirrors from time to time that needs dissipating. I've never met anyone, seen anyone or heard about anyone backing over a kid in my lifetime. Maybe it's becoming more prevalent in the beak-neck paced, hurry-up and wait, 'unaware' world we're existing in these days. Still haven't heard about it. Just about every state in the union gets some kind of 'weather'. Never rains hardly at all in CA, yet, they get the mandated safety windshield wipers aye? Needed defrosting last time I was in Texas in the winter. The entire mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions sure do need them. Even places further south are subject to periodic icings in the winter. Tell me vehicles never travel to places that need defrosting?

The mirrors had a light foggy dew on them yesterday morning that pretty much rendered them useless. Not snow, not frost, not ice. Kinda made it tough to see what was coming up along side, and how fast, as I wanted to change lanes. The beepy thingy isn't giving the hazard's approach speed feedback, so who knows if it was clear, enough, to proceed? Hence, what good is it? I'll take the heated mirrors please. Keep the annoying beeping thing. This is when I realized no, in fact, I didn't have heated mirrors since the rear defroster had been enabled for 15+ minutes. Also then noticed the absence of the squiggly defrost symbol on the mirrors I presume they still badge the glass with. Got home and dug in to the specs, mid-level model doesn't get them.

Let's see if someone can give the correct answer to the question....
Ron

Triggerhappy

It happens more than you think, look at these two reports from the NHTSA:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 2757212019

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 2757212019

Those are a bit old and I'm not sure if they've released anything recently.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 162023.htm

https://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids-ge ... backovers/
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's