CVT Whine))))))))Fluid change & Stuff

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Triggerhappy

Currently at 147,000 miles (237,000 km) and still on original CVT fluid. Next oil change will be for 15k oil change interval. I'll be the guinea pig.
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's
FrankoLaMoya

Triggerhappy wrote:Currently at 147,000 miles (237,000 km) and still on original CVT fluid. Next oil change will be for 15k oil change interval. I'll be the guinea pig.
Thanks for your input. That's pretty nice!! Now I really don't know what to do...lol I am thinking about selling it when it will be around 200 000 km therefore I think I will change the CVT fluid at 150 000 km
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
Akshat

Hello! This is my first post here, I was not really surprised to find a club dedicated to the kizashi as I feel that it is an above average vehicle, which for idiopathic reasons, just didn't sell in the numbers it should have had.
That aside, I have a black CVT one(FWD), which has done close to a 100k miles. I have never changed the transmission fluid. I am a bit apprehensive about changing it now, as it runs the way it was bought, if not better. Is it mandatory to change it for it to last, or should I wait for some symptoms to indicate changing it?
n8dogg

Akshat wrote: Is it mandatory to change it for it to last, or should I wait for some symptoms to indicate changing it?
If you wait for it to have symptoms, it's probably too late. These CVTs are starting to fail and many of us who didn't change is sooner wished we had, now that we're learning more about them.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
Ronzuki

n8dogg wrote: many of us who didn't change is sooner wished we had, now that we're learning more about them.
^^^^what he said^^^^
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Akshat wrote:Hello! This is my first post here, I was not really surprised to find a club dedicated to the kizashi as I feel that it is an above average vehicle, which for idiopathic reasons, just didn't sell in the numbers it should have had.
That aside, I have a black CVT one(FWD), which has done close to a 100k miles. I have never changed the transmission fluid. I am a bit apprehensive about changing it now, as it runs the way it was bought, if not better. Is it mandatory to change it for it to last, or should I wait for some symptoms to indicate changing it?
Welcome.
I think the other replies have made the general consensus rather clear.
The whole "lifelong" fluid claim that many automakers have pushed recently have been exposed to really mean "as long as we care for". A number of insiders like dealer mechanics have exposed that companies that state "lifelong" consider that to actually be 100,000 miles. Beyond that, automakers don't really care as their warranties would not cover the vehicle and profitability declines for that specific vehicle overall. However, it should be obvious that this is a problem given there are millions of people around the world that expect and depend on their cars to run long past reaching the six digit figure on the odometer. This is why many who want to keep their cars a long time are now reverting back to the scheduled maintenance they used to follow before these "lifelong" claims.

Here's another way to think of it: The Kizashi's CVT's fluid was considered "lifelong" fluid with no service interval. However, the manual transmission had a service interval at something like every 60K miles for the OE semi-synthetic gear oil and every 30K or so for any other. I'm using premium quality Red Line full synthetic gear oil in my manual transmission gearbox yet changing the fluid at least every 40K miles. Compared to a manual, an automatic is far more sophisticated and sensitive to everything from fluid condition, fluid amount, heat, and load. It makes no sense to me how then a CVT can have no service interval for fluid replacement yet a vastly more simple and durable manual trans has a shorter interval. While they obviously don't work the same way for an equal comparison, consider the fact that manual gearboxes seldom ever break for any car meanwhile CVTs are a leading cause of problems for cars with them.

I think if you replace the CVT fluid with the proper stuff and refill it to the correct level, you will extend the service life of your CVT.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Akshat

Is Nissan NS-2 ok?
Akshat

KuroNekko wrote:
Akshat wrote:Hello! This is my first post here, I was not really surprised to find a club dedicated to the kizashi as I feel that it is an above average vehicle, which for idiopathic reasons, just didn't sell in the numbers it should have had.
Welcome.
I think the other replies have made the general consensus rather clear.
The whole "lifelong" fluid claim that many automakers have pushed recently have been exposed to really mean "as long as we care for". A number of insiders like dealer mechanics have exposed that companies that state "lifelong" consider that to actually be 100,000 miles. Beyond that, automakers don't really care as their warranties would not cover the vehicle and profitability declines for that specific vehicle overall. However, it should be obvious that this is a problem given there are millions of people around the world that expect and depend on their cars to run long past reaching the six digit figure on the odometer. This is why many who want to keep their cars a long time are now reverting back to the scheduled maintenance they used to follow before these "lifelong" claims.

Here's another way to think of it: The Kizashi's CVT's fluid was considered "lifelong" fluid with no service interval. However, the manual transmission had a service interval at something like every 60K miles for the OE semi-synthetic gear oil and every 30K or so for any other. I'm using premium quality Red Line full synthetic gear oil in my manual transmission gearbox yet changing the fluid at least every 40K miles. Compared to a manual, an automatic is far more sophisticated and sensitive to everything from fluid condition, fluid amount, heat, and load. It makes no sense to me how then a CVT can have no service interval for fluid replacement yet a vastly more simple and durable manual trans has a shorter interval. While they obviously don't work the same way for an equal comparison, consider the fact that manual gearboxes seldom ever break for any car meanwhile CVTs are a leading cause of problems for cars with them.

I think if you replace the CVT fluid with the proper stuff and refill it to the correct level, you will extend the service life of your CVT.
What you say definitely makes sense for me as my car has reached six figures, and it runs flawlessly with no squeaks and rattles, and I would like to run it till the wheels fall off.
In other thread I read you mentioning that the CVT has a very low tolerance for the fluid level and that the amount should not be more what ever happens.
So I've decided that I'll measure the drained fluid and put in only the amount that came out.
I feel a CVT flush would be more complicated and their would be more chances of something going wrong, so will just change the oil for now.
Now the main thing, what oil should I use? Nissan ns-2 is good?
WESHOOT2

I have done all my fluid services, including CVT/ oil/ diffs, for all my Kizashis at the dealership that sold me my first, new, one.
They still have the same technicians from when I got the first. I trust them to have sufficient experience with my model.

So far they've been superb.

So, for the DIY folks, I still suggest CVT fluid services be done by someone experienced with the model.
OliverB

WESHOOT2 wrote:I have done all my fluid services, including CVT/ oil/ diffs, for all my Kizashis at the dealership that sold me my first, new, one.
They still have the same technicians from when I got the first. I trust them to have sufficient experience with my model.

So far they've been superb.

So, for the DIY folks, I still suggest CVT fluid services be done by someone experienced with the model.
Info on that dealer?
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi