New 2013 owner with a few questions

Introduce yourself here, also we will post links to topics we find the most valuable on the forum to help out new members.
hadleyvc

Hi everyone. I got a used 2013 Suzuki Kizashi of ~70k miles. I know very little about 21st century vehicles in general, but did enough research to be happy with the gambles involved. Now that it's mine I want to learn more about what I've got. Is it ok to put them all in one post or am I better off reposting them in specific forums?
  1. I am surprised to find that this car is still under warranty. I honestly did not expect any warranties to exist in my price range, but I seem to have something from both the seller and the manufacturer here (barely). What might I look out for to gauge the chances of actually needing the CVT replaced in the next year? I had a pre-sale inspection which spoke highly of the engine but is there anything a more a specialized Suzuki-mechanic would be able to tell me about this?
  2. What kind of rack works with these rack holes in the roof? I kind of want a Lockrack. Meaning I need a rack that fits to both the car and the Lockrack. Currently finding it difficult to ensure with confidence that something works on both ends.
    IMG_20190528_161752.jpg
    IMG_20190528_161752.jpg (202.38 KiB) Viewed 15202 times
  3. What can I do with this car stereo? It has buttons for XM and USB, though they seem to do nothing. That's probably because I don't have the features... right? Just asking because I've completely failed to locate basic things in this car that turned out to exist, so I never know. Are the features behind those two buttons still doable by ordinary shops?
  4. Does anyone on the forum have a 2013 Kizashi pdf Owner's Manual? I saw a 2010 pdf on these boards and I don't know how much the cars changed. Suzuki has the real manual in either paper OR a 1-day subscription. I'd really prefer a fully downloadable, searchable document.
Woodie

Welcome hadleyvc!

We're going to need to know a little bit more about your car to answer some of these. There are differences between countries and also between models.

1. Impossible to predict how long your CVT will last, I'd get it serviced and if you hear any wining noises have it looked at immediately. They went from saying that it would never need any service whatsoever to recommending an oil change every 30K miles. My advice would be don't buy anything with a CVT, but I guess it's too late for that.

2. Member KurroNekko is sort of the expert in roof racks here, he'll probably chime in in the next day or two. I'm pretty sure the Suzuki brand bars that fit those mounts are actually made by Yakima.

3. What can I do with "this car stereo" is kinda abstract, as we don't know what THIS means. There were three different ones possible from the factory and there's a fair chance that the stereo has been changed to aftermarket on a six year old car. Does the head unit say Rockford Fosgate on it? Do you have navigation built in? XM was a very expensive option that made no sense at all, something like $300 for the add on module that enabled XM. You can get an XM receiver for $50 or get it over your phone and bluetooth it into your stereo. USB port should be behind the flip up door below the heat A/C controls where the dashboard meets the floor console.

4. Not much changed from year to year, it's very possible that the 2010 Owner's Manual will have everything you need to know.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

If the CVT is in working order and not making any funny noises other than maybe some whining (which will get worse over time as the fluid continues to deteriorate further), it is long overdue for a fluid swap at 70k. 3 drain and fill sequences per a July 2012 TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued by Suzuki.
There are 2 filters in the CVT that should be replaced during the process. The usual metal screen unit in the pan that shows up on Suzuki's parts diagrams, and one they do not acknowledge exists in the cooler supply/return to the trans. This cartridge filter, IMHO, is the critical one to replace.

One of a few DIY posts on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4657

Whisper Bars are the ones that attach directly to the roof's mounting in your picture. There's a few on here who've added them and I'm sure will jump in w/ more info. You're lucky, the threads are in good shape. The standard op procedure is to chase the threads w/ appropriate size tap and then use anti-sieze on the screws before installing to prevent corrosion.

Speaking of that, I'd get under the car and pull off the two engine bay under-covers and slap some anti-sieze on the 10mm hex head screws holding them on so they don't corrode and break off.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
hadleyvc

Thanks for all the info, Woodie and Ronzuki. Quick update: I had a real Suzuki shop take a look, do the CVT fluid and they further confirm that it is in good condition. The previous owner must have done a decent job getting it serviced, though obviously not from an official Suzuki shop, as it had 2 pending recalls from 2015 and 2018, so I let them do those.

I will post more info about the car stereo when I get a chance. I'm guessing the alleged USB port would be this deep hole to the left of the lighter socket.

The roof racks are the priority right now, and I think going directly to REI might be easiest for me.
n8dogg

I just installed a Thule roof rack on my car using their Aeroblade crossbars. They have the slot in the topside that should allow your Lockrack accessories to attach. The fit kits however, are listed as discontinued on most sites, as this was a low production vehicle and not many aftermarket accessories at we ever even made. I had to email Thule customer support to get the appropriate fit kit number and then search the web for anyone who still carried them.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
Woodie

hadleyvc

Well. This car is full of surprises.

Based on another thread I thought I might find a 2nd USB port in the glove box. I see what might be another gaping hole where a cable could have gone through. So cracking the thing open might be a good idea for later. But more importantly... I now have an owner's manual. It fits camouflaged into the top of the glove box all snug like it's a disk drive. When I asked the guy during the test drive to check the glove box to see if we had a manual to work with -- because neither of us could figure out the emergency brake or how to open the gas cover or the hood -- he said "nope". So I believed that.

This manual may answer more of my questions as I look through it. For instance my car seems to lack the clues that would indicate Bluetooth functions. But it does seem to imply that all cars have USB... that doesn't say "if equipped".

And, it doesn't say Rockford Fosgate either. It looks like the standard option to me.
2019-05-31.jpg
2019-05-31.jpg (56.45 KiB) Viewed 15053 times
Woodie

It appears that you have the base stereo, that should have USB for a thumb drive or I-pod, but no Bluetooth or Rockford-Fosgate amplifier.
hadleyvc

I took a 1200 mi trip as sort of a "stress test" of the vehicle, and to see some sights and hike a lot. Heavy rain, mud, gravel, darkness... after all that it's me that feels stress tested; the car seems oblivious.
KuroNekko

Woodie wrote: 2. Member KurroNekko is sort of the expert in roof racks here, he'll probably chime in in the next day or two. I'm pretty sure the Suzuki brand bars that fit those mounts are actually made by Yakima.
Sorry for the late input.
I have the Suzuki accessory roof racks but they are simply Suzuki-branded Yakima Whispbar Flush Bars. I've had mine for several years and would recommend them. They have been excellent with my bike carrier and Thule roof box.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)