Is my CVT done?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
SX4toKizashi

I was on my way home from my daily commute ( it was really hot that day) when CVT started to make whining noise. I drove it from a another 5 minutes till I got to an intersection to make a left turn. Upon accelerating to make the left turn, barely any power got transferred to the wheels. I pulled over and let the car cool down for 10 minutes. After letting it cool down, the CVT felt it was holding up and I drove for another 2 minutes to get home.

A day later, I test drove the car around the neighborhood and I still hear whining noise and fee less power being transferred to the wheels. Is the CVT done? Can it be fixed without breaking the bank?

I have contacted people who posted ads on Kijiji offering to buy unwanted/scrap/broken cars but highest offer I got was $500CAD. My car's interior, exterior. suspension and engine are in great shape and I really think it is worth more than that. If I cannot get the CVT fixed without breaking the bank, what would be the best way to maximize the money I get from this car?

I really love this car and has served me well. I am not planning to keep the car anymore as it is too small now for the family.

Please advise and thanks in advance.
OliverB

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4793

I'm gonna presume you are either from Ontario or Quebec so it might be worth a shot...

Doubt you can find someone more knowledgeable about the kizashi when it comes to it's transmission.
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
Ronzuki

Before offering any advise or opinion....what year, how many miles, and has the fluid ever been changed?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SX4toKizashi

2011 with 240,000km. Only fluid change it had was at 160,000 km. I tested the car again today on the driveway and it is now jerking when accelerating. I checked the fluid level and it is where it is supposed to be (where it has always been).
Ronzuki

Well, you could try a complete fluid exchange...with those miles and intervals, maybe 4 drain & fills...see if it comes back. If not...it's likely toast. Think about it this way...the fluid really should have been serviced 5 times with those miles, and it was only serviced once after waaaay too many miles.

Old_Tech may have some further insight based upon your latest observations. I love the car immensely, but I'd have a really hard time justifying throwing any significant money at my orphaned brand car, with nearly zero serviceability present in N.A., at the age of it, and with those kind of miles you're talking about.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
old tech

You will need a transmission . Tell me were you are near and if this car is fwd or awd and I can maybe give you some direction.