Kizashi S, USB problem

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Spreekid

Hey everyone,
I’m new to the forum and I bought a kizashi in September of 2019 with only 75,000 miles! I love the kizashi because it was cheap, looks nice, and it had AWD ;) My problem is kind of hard to explain, but I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone knows how to fix it.
I have the Kizashi S, no Bluetooth and no RF stereo, which is fine, but whenever I plug my iPhone into the USB to play music, the first track shows up on the screen just fine with title of song and artist, etc. But as soon as the next song comes on the screen goes blank and doesn’t show anything until I unplug the cable and put it back in. The same thing happens again where the first song shows up just fine, but no other tracks show up on the screen. I have tried every cable I have including the cable that came with my phone but nothing seems to fix it.
Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long
Drem

Maybe it's not supposed to interface with another device, just storage? I'm thinking the deck and phone are "arguing" over who gets it and the phone wins.

Try putting the music on a standalone USB stick and see if you have the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2011 - Sport SLS AWD - Platinum Silver
KlutzNinja

The owner’s manual says something about what kind of devices should be plugged in, and if I’m not mistaken, phones and other items with high memory capacities are not included. Yet my iPod and iPhone still work alright with it lol.

Anyway, my iPhone works fine but only if I go onto the music app first and start the song I want to initially listen to. If I’m on another app, plug it in and then try to play what I last played, I get an error message some of the time, especially if I pause the music right after the phone is plugged in.

My issue sounds different from yours, but maybe doing what I do with leaving the phone on the music app before plugging in might help.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Spreekid

Drem wrote:Maybe it's not supposed to interface with another device, just storage? I'm thinking the deck and phone are "arguing" over who gets it and the phone wins.

Try putting the music on a standalone USB stick and see if you have the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hmmm interesting idea and thanks for the tip about the usb stick I’ll try that and let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spreekid

KlutzNinja wrote:The owner’s manual says something about what kind of devices should be plugged in, and if I’m not mistaken, phones and other items with high memory capacities are not included. Yet my iPod and iPhone still work alright with it lol.

Anyway, my iPhone works fine but only if I go onto the music app first and start the song I want to initially listen to. If I’m on another app, plug it in and then try to play what I last played, I get an error message some of the time, especially if I pause the music right after the phone is plugged in.

My issue sounds different from yours, but maybe doing what I do with leaving the phone on the music app before plugging in might help.
Ah I thought that might have been the problem but I never checked the manual Image That would have been smart. I’ll also try the tip the next time I drive.

Spreekid

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Been a little busy the past week. I tried both of your suggestions and they both worked! I will probably use my phone for music as I do bring it everywhere.
Spreekid

Quick update:
My iPhone no longer works with the kizashi. I’ve tried multiple cords, phones, and different music sources but nothing has worked. I only get NO SONGS. The weird thing is it just stopped working 2 days ago. Anyways, for people who use their phones to play music, just wondering what your using and if you could help point me in the right direction. Thanks

KlutzNinja

Spreekid wrote:Quick update:
My iPhone no longer works with the kizashi. I’ve tried multiple cords, phones, and different music sources but nothing has worked. I only get NO SONGS. The weird thing is it just stopped working 2 days ago. Anyways, for people who use their phones to play music, just wondering what your using and if you could help point me in the right direction. Thanks

That’s never happened to me and my iPhone, but if it were to happen the first thing I’d try is restarting the phone. But since you said this is happening with all of your devices, it would sound like this issue is on the car’s end.
Also some cords only charge devices, not transfer data, at least in cases of phone-to-computer. I use a very simple USB iPhone cord from AmazonBasics in my Kizashi and it’s worked flawlessly so far.

Have you tried the USB stick again since this has happened?
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Woodie

Far more likely that something has changed about your phone than your car. They're constantly doing updates that accidentally break features on phones.

Have you tried BlueTooth, that a more convenient way to connect anyway.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Spreekid

I think I found the trick to get it to work. I had checked yesterday and saw that my phone automatically updated, which might have messed up the music. This is supposed to work everytime there’s a new update. Took me about a day of searching through Apple forums to find. Image

Tried it today and it worked, just wanted to post it to help anyone who might have had the same issue I did. Also, thank you for the replies!