OBD II devices and apps: Kiwi WIFI + Dash Command

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

The topic of OBD II scanners and tools have been discussed a bit before, but I wanted to start a thread talking about devices that work with WIFI or Bluetooth to clear CELs and read out stats more than dedicated diagnostic tools.

I've owned a Kiwi WIFI for a few years now and used it numerous times to clear CELs on a number of different cars. I'd use it with an iPod Touch or iPhone and run an app called Fuzzy Car. However, that app has started to crash a lot so I recently bought Dash Command which looks to be the best OBD II app out there (and the only one still around from years ago). I longer could find Fuzzy Car or Rev on the app store. On the contrary, Dash Command is still around, has the highest reviews, and has continuous updates and support. It was also cheaper than I remembered it from the past. It only costs $9.99 now.

Dash Command is much better than Fuzzy Car (and more expensive) because it not only read CELs, but is designed to be a live performance display to use while driving. It actually works very well with the Kizashi and I have live-streaming read outs on all kinds of fuel economy measures, pressures, RPM, HP, Torque, temperatures, etc. Its also got some neat performance-related modes to record 1/4 mile times and 0 to 60 times among others.

So far, it works very well and seems to be accurate. It's reflecting rather accurate fuel economy figures for my work commute and I can tell this given I've driven the same route many times for the 2 years I've owned this car.

The reason I wanted to post about it is because some apps don't seem to support all cars. For example, I actually bought this app because I was helping someone read a CEL. However, Dash Command could only read the CEL (actually a stored CEL and not a current one) and did not display the live performance read-outs for this 2001 VW Jetta. For the Kizashi, it works very well in every regard I've tested.

WIFI-based tools are more expensive than Bluetooth but appear to be the better method of connecting. Whether it's the faster and more reliable connection or the fact that more data can be transferred, I've seen that some higher end apps don't support Bluetooth OBD II devices. From what I can tell, Dash Command does, but I have not confirmed it. Regardless, the connection via WIFI produces absolutely no delay.

I'll post pictures later, but there are some images from the internet on the Kiwi WIFI and the Dash Command app. I think it would be a great app for those who have iPads and other smartphone/tablets installed in their Kizashis.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Moto
Site Admin

i'll probably get something like this for my forester xt. I miss not having an accessport like I did for my WRX.

Also I found that if you have any kind of code on the forester it will light up the dash like a Christmas tree and disable cruse and lock the car into sport mode. (Failed to tighten my gas cap the other morning) Had to go to the auto parts store and borrow their reader to clear the code.
KuroNekko

Yeah, I like Dash Command because it does more than read and clear CELs which was all Fuzzy Car was really good for when it worked. It did give more read-outs in live mode, but the display layout wasn't very good for live display while driving.
On the contrary, Dash Command gives performance read-outs in a clear and attractive manner so it's like having another set of gauges for your car. It also supports GPS location data so it's good for track use.

For things like CEL read-outs, I think a Bluetooth adapter should be fine, but I'm inclined to believe that for live performance read-outs, WIFI is the better way to go. I'm honestly seeing no lag at all with Dash Command though without it being powered by a USB cord, it will drain the iPhone's battery rather quickly.
bootymac

For those on Android, Torque works great with a generic OBD2 BT adaptor ($10ish) off eBay. The free version of Torque let's you scan and clear fault codes.
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:For those on Android, Torque works great with a generic OBD2 BT adaptor ($10ish) off eBay. The free version of Torque let's you scan and clear fault codes.
Dash Command is available on Android too.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mand&hl=en

However, Torque seems like an Android-only app. It did not show up on the Apple App Store.
sx4rocious

I've been using Torque for about 6 months now. I have to say, even the free version is fascinating! There are a few live "hiccups" now and then, but I attribute that to the cheap, crappy, Hywei (sp?) phone I have. Torque does about everything you need and works VERY well with both my Kizashi, and my SX4. As stated earlier, the BT dongle was about $13 shipped.

I've also grown quite fond of HoboDrive as well. It's much more mpg centered than Torque, but also offers some pretty good information and has proven invaluable on longer trips.

As far as Dash Command goes, I downloaded the free version a while back, and could not get it to work with my SX4 (I didn't try the Kizashi). Not sure if it was my crappy phone or what, but I couldn't get it to work...
murcod

I'm guessing those bluetooth OBDII dongles stay continuously powered - regardless of the ignition switch? (As I seem to recall the power in the OBDII port is direct to the battery.)
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:I'm guessing those bluetooth OBDII dongles stay continuously powered - regardless of the ignition switch? (As I seem to recall the power in the OBDII port is direct to the battery.)
Same with WIFI OBDII devices. My Kiwi WIFI module remains powered even when car is off. However, the device has a power switch for this very reason.
LeoFromDE

This thread is obviously long abandoned but I gotta throw the SZ Viewer A1 in here which is Suzuki specific, free and works great
KuroNekko

LeoFromDE wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:08 pm This thread is obviously long abandoned but I gotta throw the SZ Viewer A1 in here which is Suzuki specific, free and works great
Thanks. I'll have to try it out with my generic Chinese Bluetooth OBDII adapter. It works fine with Torque Lite.