What Did You Do With Your Kizashi Today?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
old tech

I agree. It really is a shame though that currently, Suzuki Automotive has nothing here in the US. Wouldn't it be nice if Toyota were to take the Jimny and rebadge it to fill their gab in the market. Ford cant build the Mavericks fast enough and the Santa Cruz isnt having any trouble selling either. Suzuki wouldnt be able to meet the demand but what a good problem to have.
old tech

I had a Kizashi get towed in the other day that had thrown the belt. The complaint was it didn’t run now either . I confirmed that it did throw the belt and vehicle had no compression when cranking it over. I pulled the valve cover too quickly check valve clearance and found some of the intakes had excessive clearance indicating that most likely the valves had bent and cams were out of time. I couldn’t figure out what the belt had to do with it but I told him that somehow something had happened with the timing chain and guides and we now have bent valves so the expense of the repair would’ve been more than putting in a used engine. I gave them a price on 100,000 mile engine in one and only had 26,000 miles on it for only $200 more. He chose the latter. Upon removing the engine I did find what caused the chain to jump and it was the belt got shredded and was sucked in through the crank seal, jumping the timing chain. I didn’t think this was possible but here it is.Image
This vehicle had 178,000 miles on it and I believe the drive belt to be the original actually. My suggestion is if you haven’t replaced the belt by 125,000 miles , you probably should. Also it would be my advice to check pulleys, bearings and the belt tensioner for good alignment. You can do this following the post I put under technical “cheap fix belt tensioner”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SAEED_KIZZY

wow thanks, old-tech for sharing I saw a similar situation on the timing belt set up but in Kizashi with a timing chain who would have thought
Woodie

Wow, this really ups the value of replacing that belt tensioner.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
old tech

I have a young Kizashi owner that just scored a job with the US postal service and is to deliver mail in rural Pa. This means you supply your own vehicle which , for your sake better be all wheel drive. I had rebuilt his Cvt 3 months and felt good about the transmission but made him aware of this is a lot stop and start . The very thing that is hardest on the transmission. He still has 9mo of warranty left and I’ll still back it but 30.000 miles here is equal to 100,000 used in this manner. This will surely be a test on it . I installed a right side accelerator pedal and brake . Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KuroNekko

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting up with KlutzNinja in person to buy Kizashi parts from him given his Kizashi was totaled recently. Turns out we have a lot in common (other than both owning black Sport GTS') and stood around and chatted for a few hours. Given how rare these cars are in our region of Southern California, it was nice to meet up, chat about the car, and get some spare parts.

Also, finally, it appears my HID low beam kit is starting to fail. It failed a few days ago but worked while I was with Klutz last night only to fail again on the drive home. I suspect my 7+ year-old ballast or igniter on the passenger side has started to fail. Given the age of the kit, I'll replace it entirely other than the bulbs because I replaced just those recently. My LEDs for the DRLs and high beams are also wonky again so I'll look into those too. Last time, it was just a bad connection. Both of these kits have been in the car for over 5+ years so I definitely got my money's worth from them. I also need to polish my headlights due to UV hazing so it looks like I have many reasons for the front bumper to come off soon.

I also ordered a RH engine mount for my car because my original one has been leaking oil from cracks in the rubber. I got one from megazip shipped from the UAE, which was significantly cheaper than the Japan warehouse.

Current mileage is approximately 117,000 miles and this summer marks my ten year anniversary of ownership, having put over 100,000 miles on it during that time. :drive:
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SAEED_KIZZY

KuroNekko wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:56 pm Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting up with KlutzNinja in person to buy Kizashi parts from him given his Kizashi was totaled recently. Turns out we have a lot in common (other than both owning black Sport GTS') and stood around and chatted for a few hours. Given how rare these cars are in our region of Southern California, it was nice to meet up, chat about the car, and get some spare parts.

Also, finally, it appears my HID low beam kit is starting to fail. It failed a few days ago but worked while I was with Klutz last night only to fail again on the drive home. I suspect my 7+ year-old ballast or igniter on the passenger side has started to fail. Given the age of the kit, I'll replace it entirely other than the bulbs because I replaced just those recently. My LEDs for the DRLs and high beams are also wonky again so I'll look into those too. Last time, it was just a bad connection. Both of these kits have been in the car for over 5+ years so I definitely got my money's worth from them. I also need to polish my headlights due to UV hazing so it looks like I have many reasons for the front bumper to come off soon.

I also ordered a RH engine mount for my car because my original one has been leaking oil from cracks in the rubber. I got one from megazip shipped from the UAE, which was significantly cheaper than the Japan warehouse.

Current mileage is approximately 117,000 miles and this summer marks my ten year anniversary of ownership, having put over 100,000 miles on it during that time. :drive:
3 years ago I bought LH engine mount from the UAE warehouse for my friend's car and it works great with no problem so far the quality is the same as with the Japanese warehouse but the packaging is not so good IMO.
KuroNekko

SAEED_KIZZY wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:20 am

3 years ago I bought LH engine mount from the UAE warehouse for my friend's car and it works great with no problem so far the quality is the same as with the Japanese warehouse but the packaging is not so good IMO.
I assume that the parts are from the same manufacturing plant and the difference is just where Megazip is sourcing it from (warehouse)? In my searches for various parts, it appears most are in Japan but some also have UAE warehouse availability. At least for the engine mount I bought, the part and the shipping was cheaper for a combined savings of about $75 USD by opting for UAE vs. Japan.
SAEED_KIZZY

KuroNekko wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:44 pm
SAEED_KIZZY wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:20 am

I assume that the parts are from the same manufacturing plant and the difference is just where Megazip is sourcing it from (warehouse)? In my searches for various parts, it appears most are in Japan but some also have UAE warehouse availability. At least for the engine mount I bought, the part and the shipping was cheaper for a combined savings of about $75 USD by opting for UAE vs. Japan.
Yes, all part comes from Japan with the SGP label but the production date can be older.
one other thing about the UAE warehouse is that sometimes you place an order and after some days they say parts are not available at the UAE warehouse and you pay extra to ship from Japan.
KuroNekko

This past weekend, I drove the Kizashi up to Lake Arrowhead, where my family used to live about 20 years ago before a wildfire took out our home. Before the trip, I checked my oil and saw that it was below the halfway mark between low and high so I decided to stop by Autozone for some oil to top off. It probably wasn't absolutely necessary but the route climbs a 5000 foot mountain in about 18 miles so I didn't want to take chances on engine lubrication. At the store, I saw that 1qt bottles of full synthetic was about $9 to $10 so I decided to get a 5qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 for $35 and save the rest for the next oil change. Of course, I didn't have a funnel on me so I spilled a bit around the fill hole for the engine but wiped it up enough. I then placed the jug behind my seat and wedged it upright next to a bag of snacks and drinks my girlfriend placed. We were then on our way.

During the freeway drive, we ate some of the snacks but unknown to me at the time, my girlfriend moved the bag of snacks on top of the rear seat for better access. Later, when we climbed the twisty roads up the mountain, I remember hearing the sound of something falling over but didn't think much of it as I concentrated on driving. Once up the mountain and at the rental house, I started unloading the car. I noticed the bottle was on its side in the plastic bag I placed it in but it was nearly all empty! I inspected the bottle and saw that the cap was barely screwed on thus over 4qts had spilled onto the floor behind the driver seat. The rear floor mat was completely saturated in motor oil and the car's carpet underneath was the same. Pushing the carpet with a finger, I could see the oil had pooled.
:facepalm:

I then realized it was the perfect storm of the bottle not being upright and the air pressure literally twisting the cap loose as I climbed from nearly sea level to over 5000ft since filling the oil. What a waste of $35 and an even bigger headache with the mess. I then researched methods of dealing with spilled oil inside a car and noted most recommended first absorbing the oil as much as possible with things like cat litter. I then went to a store and bought clay cat litter and poured it on the carpet before replacing the floor mat and pouring the rest of the litter on top. I kept it like that for about 24 hours until I got home the next day. The litter did absorb the excess pooling oil but wasn't going to do much about the saturation in the fabric of the carpet or floor mat. I've since removed the floor mat and soaked it in warm water with Dawn Ultra dish soap in a bucket over night. The water now looks like a grease tub. While the floor mat looks like it can be degreased and cleaned relatively easily with Dawn and then a dedicated degreaser, I'm a bit worried about the carpet of the car. I'm placing packing paper on there to absorb oil until I have more time to degrease and clean it. Depending on how things go with the floor mat with the products I'm using, I'll determine a plan of attack for the carpet.

Thankfully, the Pennzoil Platinum doesn't really have an odor. Didn't smell the oil at all when it leaked and saturated the carpet. Maybe it's because it's made from natural gas rather than crude oil. It's been odorless even in temperatures here ranging from 90 to 100 F this past weekend.