Overheated!

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
NickL

If you plan to keep the car a bit longer, of course it is a good idea to change Thermostat and cap. The problem with these parts is that wnen they start to fail they can make some mess and in if that is not noticed on time, can also make serious damage. The Kizashy engine though seems to be very reliable and we have some guys on the forum that reported being close to 300 000 miles mark. Those are amazing numbers for 4 cylinder Petrol engines but it also tells us that when Kizashy is beeing maintained properly, it realy can last a long time apart from crapy Jatco transmission. Thank God I got the manual version.
"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing". H. Ford
kizzy1

Done and done...both the thermostat and radiator cap have been replaced (plus a gallon of new antifreeze to freshen it up a little). Both are oem units and while a little pricey I prefer to not take any chances. The warmup time does seem to be a little faster and the temperature gauge is reading a little higher (just below the halfway point) than before. We're good to go...
KuroNekko

Update:
Per Old Tech's advice, I got a Toyota radiator cap, which is designed much like the Suzuki OE cap.
The Toyota part number is 16401-31480. It's a perfect fit.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
MOCisaDODGE

" we have some guys on the forum that reported being close to 300 000 miles mark"

And I thought I was doing good at almost 300 Kilometers ! 2012 SE cvt.
Been a few years since I last posted ( under a different username , cant remember the first )
Just recently began having overheating issues ,RAD cap , thermostat & water pump replaced and still
overheating .
Can drive around all day and doesn't overheat , take it up over 4500 rpm quickly and it then looses
cabin heat quickly.
Then gauge rises and is almost pinned in the red ,
has to fully cool down before I can drive it again .
Full system pressure test has been done and rad flush done. Lower rad hose is cool(ish) to the touch.
Fans operate correctly , heat and A/C .
Rad blocked maybe ? The dreaded head gasket ?
all thoughts welcome.
Thx in advance .
2012 Kizashi SE AWD
1968 Dodge Coronet.
golftango

This still sounds like a stuck, or incorrect, thermostat.
2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
old tech

My guess is head is warped. pull cap off and smell the coolant reserve bottle. If hydrocarbons (unburned gasoline) are present , it will have a very sharp smell to it. You could pull the valve cover and lay a straight edge across the top of the cyl head above the spark plugs. The head was once perfectly flat but I suspect it will rock a little indicating warpage. See cheap fix 19 in technical
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:05 pm Update:
Per Old Tech's advice, I got a Toyota radiator cap, which is designed much like the Suzuki OE cap.
Is there a difference between the Toyota part and the aftermarket alternatives?
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:45 pm
KuroNekko wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:05 pm Update:
Is there a difference between the Toyota part and the aftermarket alternatives?
Can't say for all aftermarket but the emergency cap I got at O'Reilly's did not have a spring-loaded valve like the OE cap and the Toyota replacement. While the pressure rating was the same, it had a different design. The Toyota cap was identical to the Suzuki OE cap from what I can tell and had OEM quality. I only considered the aftermarket cap as a temporary replacement until I got something OE quality, which the Toyota cap is thus it's going to serve as the permanent replacement. Getting OE Suzuki parts is much harder and more expensive for stuff like this.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)