CVT appears to have bit it at 165k miles - expected lifespan?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Staple

Just found out my Kizashi has a CVT problem and we have only 65,000 km on her. They replaced the starting motor first. When this didn't work now they are saying it's the CVT.
Woodie

Are they just playing Parts Darts?

What do the starter and the transmission have in common? I'm failing to see the logic here, what is the symptom.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
DiggerDerrik

Next they'll replace the wiper motor to solve the issue.
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7
ProMarinero

Sorry I haven't replied. The used CVT finally arrived last Tuesday. I plan to install it next weekend. It's a 30,000 mile unit and they also included (forgot to remove) the transfer case, so that was a nice bonus. I am also planning to replace the water pump, timing chain tensioner and guides at the same time while the engine is out. I will take some pics for reference should anyone else need them.

As far as the Excursion goes.... maybe I shouldn't be doing this CVT. I blew up my own engine installing a front sway bar. :oops: When I put the new thicker aftermarket unit on, I was in a hurry and zipped off the old one without really looking at it. When I went to install the new one, I didn't know whether the bend in it went up or down. I checked the instructions which were useless. The pictures were horrible and the text made no mention of orientation. After looking on the OEM Ford diagram (up) and checking the wear pattern on the old bar (up) I decided to install it up. When I set the car back down, the bar was very close to the differential but I thought that must be the way and hustled out. After driving around for two months, the bar flex slowly pushed the oil pan in until it was against the oil pump screen. Yep - it was an $8000 swaybar. :facepalm: When the mechanic who was doing the work showed me I couldn't believe it. I asked him of any good places to donate my tools since I shouldn't be using them anymore. :lol: He told me it happens at some point to everyone, but I'm not convinced it's quite on that scale of ineptitude. :cry:
ProMarinero

SUCCESS!!! Finally got it in this weekend and fixed a couple little issues today. We’re back at 166k with a 30k transmission. This thing should run to 300k now! :lol: It would have been done a couple weeks earlier but I found that the best place to order seals is OEM because every one listed elsewhere was the wrong size and NOK seals do not cross. Anyway, I’ll post more details later but I just wanted to report that it worked.
KuroNekko

ProMarinero wrote:SUCCESS!!! Finally got it in this weekend and fixed a couple little issues today. We’re back at 166k with a 30k transmission. This thing should run to 300k now! :lol: It would have been done a couple weeks earlier but I found that the best place to order seals is OEM because every one listed elsewhere was the wrong size and NOK seals do not cross. Anyway, I’ll post more details later but I just wanted to report that it worked.
Congrats. Keep us posted on the details and how it holds up.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
DiggerDerrik

How’d the Excursion go? We may as well get google search hits on that vehicle to send people here. I hope it’s not a 6.0 :|
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
ProMarinero

Stand by.... I'm on my third driver's side axle seal and it's leaking too. Hoping it's not the diff bearing in the unit I received. Once this is done I will post the whole thing.

The Excursion got a remanufactured V10 to replace my f-up. That is running great and it should - it was only $8,000 after labor and everything else. :facepalm: Needless to say I will be installing a real, actual oil pressure gauge and not relying on Ford's stupid on/off gauge that goes from the middle to low at 7 psi.
DiggerDerrik

You’re right on the stupid pressure gauge. I read somewhere that years ago Ford switched to a gauge that only had 3 readings. None, normal and high. What a great idea :( I have a 6.7 and all it has is a dummy light. $25k motor and no pressure gauge. I want to install one but need to do some research to see if there’s a place to do it easily.

I don’t know much about those v-10s other then the early models liked to spit out spark plugs.
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD