Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Bizzenn

Videos can be viewed now.
murcod

That would be annoying.... It's almost supercharger like in sound.
David
Bizzenn

Yea, the hotter it is the worse it is. Can't figure it out.
murcod

Could it be some belt driven accessory making the noise (water pump, alternator or a belt tensioner)? I seem to recall some other people have had tensioner issues/ a TSB?
David
Bizzenn

I don't think so. I tried it with the AC off and it still did it. I also reved out of gear and it didn't do it.
murcod

Yes, I was thinking CVT .... but trying to think of other sources. :(
David
Ronzuki

Hydraulic pump whine. I personally don't think it sounds that bad, but I'm not actually in the car. So it's in the trans. It could go on like that forever and never 'fail'. Mine whines more now than it did new...nature of the beast. I've had Hydro drive garden tractors dating to 1969 and they whine like crazy. Nothing wrong, just noisy. Until it dies (if it dies), Suzuki won't spend a dime on it. If/when it does, they'll replace the entire trans under the 100k warranty (at least the service center I use would).

The way I see it, you have three choices:
Live with it, thrash on it and try to kill it (they may be able to prove via ECM/TCM data that's what you did) or sell/trade it.

Me, I'd go for the first option at this stage of the Suzuki game.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Bizzenn

The hydraulic pump sounds like the only viable source as you stated. It is annoying but I was more concerned about it failing then the noise itself. Due to the area I live in, it takes a beating but keeps going. Its not a deal breaker for me for what I paid for the car, otherwise its a great car. Thank you for the posts!
murcod

This is an interesting read on the operation of the Jatco type CVT's - and modification to improve efficiency. I'm not sure if it's the same model as the Kizashi uses, but the same brand at least so should be similar internally.

http://www.mate.tue.nl/mate/pdfs/6377.pdf
David
Ronzuki

murcod wrote:This is an interesting read on the operation of the Jatco type CVT's - and modification to improve efficiency. I'm not sure if it's the same model as the Kizashi uses, but the same brand at least so should be similar internally.

http://www.mate.tue.nl/mate/pdfs/6377.pdf
Very cool stuff! Great find David. No, not the same model as ours, but relative all the same. Notice the picture of the Mini on the poster of the test station's safety cage?

I'm not certain what they were attempting to accomplish by all the effort in trying to shift the energy required to run the hydraulic pump to an external electric motor. Other than consistant flow and pressure to aid in reducing slip along with the new secondary shaft cylinder. Watts loss is watts loss whether the CVT is pumping the fluid itself or an electric motor which, in a vehicle, is ultimately powered via the same engine that's driving the CVT itself. The motor parameters they are trying to nail down would dictate it would need to be one hell of an efficient design to not add further energy loss to the system as well as adding size, weight, expense to the charging/electrical systems. The whole idea sounds very expensive to me. Can't see how that juice would be worth the squeeze. The entire premise of the CVT is simpler, cheaper and lighter. Overcoming losses by adding complication (another motor w/ a VS controller) and expense negates the whole CVT 'thing' IMHO.....just revert back to what anyone who owns a CVT knows works... a conventional auto.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)