Loud rattles after engine ignition

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
CLLee

Hi guys,

I'm from Australia, with a 2010 Kizashi XLS (CVT) with 12,000+km.

My car is making a weird loud rattle 30sec after the first engine start.
It only happens after the first start. Car starts and runs smoothly for the rest of the day.

Here are some videos I took.

Also does this - it goes away gradually.

I've contacted the service dept, but I was unable to recreate the rattle on the spot. Will have to leave the car overnight (maybe a few days).

Has anyone seen or heard this problem before?

Thanks again.

Will keep you guys posted on the repairs.
Northernstar

wow, never had this happened to my car before, just ocationally steering column rattle. hope your suzuki dealer finds out what's going on.
xwiredtva

I'm having the same rattle. Dealer noticed it. It's a loose metal on the exhaust. They offered to replace the parts but I have to sched to come back. It's not an emergency.

Pop the hood when it's cold. Start the engine and push/pull on some of the plastic/metal bits before they get hot (which is why it goes away). WHen it's hot the metal and plastic expanded to tighten up.

Tighten those bolts down or add a washer to take up the slack. I found my plastic engine cover was loose too and the plastic tray you take off to change the oil was pushed up causing a chatter.
CLLee

xwiredtva wrote:I'm having the same rattle. Dealer noticed it. It's a loose metal on the exhaust. They offered to replace the parts but I have to sched to come back. It's not an emergency.

Pop the hood when it's cold. Start the engine and push/pull on some of the plastic/metal bits before they get hot (which is why it goes away). WHen it's hot the metal and plastic expanded to tighten up.

Tighten those bolts down or add a washer to take up the slack. I found my plastic engine cover was loose too and the plastic tray you take off to change the oil was pushed up causing a chatter.
Thanks for the info. I've sent the above video links to the dealer and they are suspecting an exhaust knock. Car is going in next week.

I'm also hearing a light rattle coming from the LH air-vent when I accelerate hard.
CLLee

Good news!!!

Dropped the car off yesterday.
Dealer rang this morning. After sending my videos to Suzuki Oz Tech, they got a call straight after. There have been another car with the same problem, caused by a loose gasket in the exhaust system. Should be fixed by 4pm today.
Moto
Site Admin

good to know you have if figured out. I have had two are three cars that do similar things, but never quite that loud. It gets to -40 where I live though. (don't even need to put F or C on it at that point :P)
CLLee

Car's been back for 4 days now... Ignition sounds much smoother, and so does the engine/exhaust. Another observation, fuel consumption has dropped as well... from 10.6L to 9.6L.
So, I guess they got it right.