Headlighs (1 side) burnt out 2nd time in 3 yrs. 2012 Kizashi SX

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
AH-99

My headlight bulbs on left side, have gone again, and this is 2nd time. It requires removal of Bumper to get at bulbs.

I had changed all 6 bulbs last time (Daylight, Low, high), on both sides, $250-300 labor to drop bumper (as if it is a Lexus or Mercedes, those cars require removing bumpers !),.. but the same side left bulbs have gone.

Coincidentally, the FOB is more finicky, incl yesterday, totally shut down, no start with BOTH FOB's. They have been intermittent, but after holding them close to button, or waiting, or warming up FOB, (cold in TO, Canada), or changing batteries (few mths ago),..

I can usually open trunk with FOB, and the passenger door, but driver side is more resistant.

Are the 2 electric systems related?, wiring?, fuses?, shorts?

Please help
Thanks
Az
LPSISRL

I've had mine burn out for the second time in a year and overall, I've replaced it somewhere around 6 times. It's not that difficult to remove the bumper to replace it yourself. There's a video under the DIY section. I finally got fed up and took Kuro's advice and put in an HID system. There's a recent thread on it. The cost was only $60 and I've spent way more then that on bulbs over the last 3 years.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
KuroNekko

Yeah, unfortunately, the Kizashi is known to blow headlight bulbs faster than normal. It also doesn't help that replacing the bulbs often requires the bumper to come off.
You can try using long life halogen bulbs but I personally think getting an HID or LED kit is the better solution given these bulbs last much longer under normal operating conditions.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
AH-99

LPSISRL wrote:I've had mine burn out for the second time in a year and overall, I've replaced it somewhere around 6 times. It's not that difficult to remove the bumper to replace it yourself. There's a video under the DIY section. I finally got fed up and took Kuro's advice and put in an HID system. There's a recent thread on it. The cost was only $60 and I've spent way more then that on bulbs over the last 3 years.
To install HID system, ... do I need to chg wiring or any adapters or fuses,.. or just HID bulbs (I thought I had put in High Intensity Low beam bulb last time from a tire store but I dont know anymore. IS HID diff from High Intensity bulbs??
Even for HID system, or later if those bulbs fail,.. I still need to drop the bumper again right ?
I have to do more research !
AH-99

KuroNekko wrote:Yeah, unfortunately, the Kizashi is known to blow headlight bulbs faster than normal. It also doesn't help that replacing the bulbs often requires the bumper to come off.
You can try using long life halogen bulbs but I personally think getting an HID or LED kit is the better solution given these bulbs last much longer under normal operating conditions.
Hi TX,...
Same question I have similar to prev post...
To install HID system or LED Kit, ... do I need to chg wiring or any adapters or fuses,.. or just HID bulbs (I thought I had put in High Intensity Low beam bulb last time from a tire store but I dont know anymore. IS HID system diff from High Intensity bulbs??

Even for HID system, or later if those bulbs fail,.. I still need to drop the bumper right ?
I have to do more research !
Woodie

HID is a different system, requires adding a ballast module and figuring out where to mount that and how to run the wires. Any "high output" bulb you can buy and just plug in is going to have a drastically shorter lifespan than a standard bulb. Something like one fifth the life is expected, some specific models less than that.

Are you saying that you had all six bulbs replaced last time, and now all three on one side are out? That is a coincidence of stellar proportions, I'm not buying it. It's far more likely that you have a wiring problem going to that headlight capsule. I'd try unplugging and replugging connectors in that area, and studying the wiring diagram to see if all of those bulbs share a ground connection.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

I agree with Woodie in that if you have all the bulbs in a headlight (turn signal, low beam, high beam (also DRL), and the tiny position bulb going out together, then it's likely the headlight harness connection. The entire headlight is powered and controlled by a single harness that connects to the headlight. You definitely want to check this connection to make sure it's fully connected and that there is no corrosion. Perhaps the technician that last replaced your bulbs didn't connect it correctly.

As for HID bulbs, like Woodie already stated, they are completely different headlight systems than halogen bulbs. Unlike halogen bulbs that utilizes a wire filament suspended in halogen gas to heat up and emit light, an HID bulb utilizes metal halide salts in xenon gas that's ignited at very high voltage to literally turn into plasma, creating an arc of light. Hence, you need a ballast connected to the HID bulbs which serves as an power inverter and controller for the bulbs. This is why you can never just get HID bulbs, but need the whole kit.

I have HID kits in my Kizashi and consider the system far superior to halogen bulbs. The setback is price, IMO, but they aren't prohibitively expensive. They vary from $25 to a few hundred dollars and, with just about anything, the difference in price often reflects the difference in quality.

Here's my tutorial on an HID conversion kit installation:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2861

I lastly do want to note that some even consider HID technology to be outdated. LED conversion kits are now available and LED kits have some advantages over HIDs. They include much longer bulb life, lower initial and operating voltage, and instantaneously full-power.
The main problem with them is that LEDs are mounted on a surface instead of suspended 360 degrees around like halogens and HID bulbs. This then creates reflection issues in headlights not designed for them. The result can often be poor focus on the road. It just depends on the LED bulb and the headlight it's in.

One day when I have some free time, I need to experiment by putting my LED high beam H7 bulbs into the low beam projectors to see how this particular kit works in the projector lenses. However, most HID H7 bulbs will work well in the Kizashi's low beam projector lens so it's considerably a lower risk investment. This is the reason why I recommend a reliable HID kit instead of an LED kit that may require experimentation with compatibility.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
motosonic

I've replaced my headlight bulbs way too many times and frankly I'm done with it. Can anyone recommend a specific LED KIT that will work on the Kizashi? I have 0 mechanical ability so, I might have to have someone with familiarity install for me.. but at this point, I'm willing because my headlights always burn out in the winter and I freeze my arse off trying to replace them.
Thank you!
SamirD

We also dealt with several bulbs out. It took having all 4 go out and my wife really mad for me to take a day to drop the bumper and change the bulbs. I only removed the driver's side headlight as the trim clips on the passenger's side wouldn't come out nicely and I could access them from behind the light with the other trim stuff removed.

I replaced all of the lights with PIAAs including the fog lights with their ion (yellow) bulbs. Overall the visibility is a bit better and we haven't had a single bulb issue in over a year now. (hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that).
motosonic

WHich PIAA bulbs exactly? can you provide a link?