Kizashi Club

Your Kizashi Owners Club and Forum 

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
 #49082  by Lewis1022
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:45 pm
2011 Kizashi gts, head gasket done, 3 thermostats and 2 radiators later and several shop visits and still at square one without a resolution. I know the 2010's have had an inspection for block issues and since has started extended warranties, could this apply to later models as well? Thanks for any help.
 #49084  by Ronzuki
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:51 am
Head gasket done...but, had the head and block mating surfaces been checked to specs for trueness during the process? If there's a problem w/ a warped head or block's deck (machined surfaces) a new gasket is perfume on a pig.

Has the water pump been replaced any time through all of your trials and tribulations?

What was the source (quality) of the replacement parts? OE or aftermarket 'stuff'.

As far as the block issue, call ASMC in Brea, CA and find out the VIN range that was affected. It's not out of the question an early build 2011 could be included.

Just a couple things that come to mind.
 #49085  by bdleonard
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:52 am
Lewis1022 wrote:2011 Kizashi gts, head gasket done, 3 thermostats and 2 radiators later and several shop visits and still at square one without a resolution. I know the 2010's have had an inspection for block issues and since has started extended warranties, could this apply to later models as well? Thanks for any help.

First thoughts: air in the system, improperly installed thermostat, water pump (and/or belt or belt tensioner), radiator fan. Are you losing coolant (aka is the level in the overflow bottle dropping)? Does it overheat at slow speeds, highway speeds, or both?

I'd go to the service manual here, and look through the diagnostic items under "Engine", "Engine Cooling System":
https://avnet.ws/kizashi/Xml/SAW10A/
 #49087  by Woodie
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:35 am
Ronzuki wrote:Head gasket done...but, had the head and block mating surfaces been checked to specs for trueness during the process? If there's a problem w/ a warped head or block's deck (machined surfaces) a new gasket is perfume on a pig.

What he said. Head gaskets don't usually blow for no reason, there was likely some imperfection. Now that it has overheated repeatedly there is no question of imperfection. Repeated overheating of an aluminum engine is often the end of said engine.
 #49088  by Ronzuki
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:37 pm
bdleonard wrote:First thoughts: air in the system, improperly installed thermostat, water pump (and/or belt or belt tensioner), radiator fan. Are you losing coolant (aka is the level in the overflow bottle dropping)? Does it overheat at slow speeds, highway speeds, or both?

I'd go to the service manual here, and look through the diagnostic items under "Engine", "Engine Cooling System":

I'd agree with all of the above here. Too bad these items weren't all confirmed/eliminated as culprit before going to the extreme measure of yanking the head and replacing its gasket for no confirmed reason. Ahh, that's right..."several shop visits"...mucho $$$ w/ no resolution....'professionals' no doubt, no shocker there.

bdleonard, is the 2.4 susceptible to air pocket issues when draining and filling? I'm not aware of any issue in that regard w/ any 4cyl zuk engines. If so, then that is a very good reason for overheating. Again the how and when of the overheating is important and crucial info to pin point potential sources of the issue. The only vehicle I've owned in recent times that had air pocket issues was the 4.0L Inline 6cyl in the '04 Rubicon. That thing was a real pain in the azz to drain, fill and burp. Laborious multi-step process.
 #49091  by bdleonard
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 pm
Ronzuki wrote:
bdleonard wrote:First thoughts: air in the system, improperly installed thermostat, water pump (and/or belt or belt tensioner), radiator fan. Are you losing coolant (aka is the level in the overflow bottle dropping)? Does it overheat at slow speeds, highway speeds, or both?

I'd agree with all of the above here. Too bad these items weren't all confirmed/eliminated as culprit before going to the extreme measure of yanking the head and replacing its gasket for no confirmed reason. Ahh, that's right..."several shop visits"...mucho $$$ w/ no resolution....'professionals' no doubt, no shocker there.

bdleonard, is the 2.4 susceptible to air pocket issues when draining and filling? I'm not aware of any issue in that regard w/ any 4cyl zuk engines. If so, then that is a very good reason for overheating. Again the how and when of the overheating is important and crucial info to pin point potential sources of the issue. The only vehicle I've owned in recent times that had air pocket issues was the 4.0L Inline 6cyl in the '04 Rubicon. That thing was a real pain in the azz to drain, fill and burp. Laborious multi-step process.

No, it isn't particularly likely to be air in the system, as it should bleed itself with run time at temperature if everything is working properly. But, if the thermostat is air bound and not bleeding itself (jiggle valve not on top or stuck/clogged), or you were just very unlucky, it could certainly cause the problem
 #49093  by LPSISRL
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 pm
OK, stupid question time. How do you know it overheats? Measure actual coolant temp?
Did you replace the sending unit to the gauge?
 #49094  by Ronzuki
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:05 pm
bdleonard wrote: But, if the thermostat is air bound and not bleeding itself (jiggle valve not on top or stuck/clogged), or you were just very unlucky, it could certainly cause the problem

That's right...this just reminded me...Samurai t-stat, at least OEM back in 86, had a little bleed hole in it to piss a little coolant past the thermostat...or air. If that wasn't oriented properly, front or back I forget, that would have caused problems. Not obvious at all, and you had to have the FSM to even know it was an issue, and, which way to orient it if you weren't observant when removing the original.
 #49101  by SAEED_KIZZY
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 pm
Lewis1022 wrote:2011 Kizashi gts, head gasket done, 3 thermostats and 2 radiators later and several shop visits and still at square one without a resolution. I know the 2010's have had an inspection for block issues and since has started extended warranties, could this apply to later models as well? Thanks for any help.

see this video on Scotty Kilmer YouTube channel maybe it helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_yFlfKyYEQ