KBB depreciation value of the Kizashi...

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
murcod

KuroNekko wrote: The Swift Sport is outdone by turbocharged rivals like the Fiesta ST, but the Ford is rather new and the Swift is not. Also, the Fiesta ST has dismal reliability ratings thanks to the EcoBoost engine. Ford has experienced reliability issues across their entire fleet with these EcoBoosts. Not surprising given Ford's a newcomer to mass production gas turbos.

The Swift Sport is to subcompact hot hatches what the Civic Si is to Sports Compacts and Hot Hatches. It's outperformed by the newer turbocharged models, but is a lot more reliable and will actually be running with over 150,000 miles on the clock.
The Fiesta ST? Don't count on it. Ford needs a while to work the kinks out.

I've posted this link before but it's a testament to the Swift Sport's reliability and durability in performance-oriented driving.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/12/its- ... ental-car/
Ecoboost engine problems?

We get them here in various models and sizes. They even use the 2 litre Ecoboost in the local rear wheel drive Falcon (which is a large 1706kg car, 0-100km/h 6.7secs, 8.5l/100km combined consumption) http://performancedrive.com.au/2013-for ... iew-video/ , plus the Mondeo, Kuga, Focus and the 1.0l and 1.6l in the Fiesta's.

There hasn't been a single thing I've seen about any engine problems in local models. The 1.0l is winner of both the 2012 and 2013 International Engine of the Year award.

Credit where it's due. Don't let your Suzuki bias cloud your judgement.

Suzuki clearly aren't keeping pace (with all their current models) and certainly aren't competitive with their "Sport" models. Back in the late 1980's to early 1990's they had a legendary hot hatch in the original Swift GTi - nothing else since has compared. The Swift Sport has the potential- but is let down with a mediocre engine. If you're after a class leading performance hatch you'd be shopping elsewhere.

The current model Grand Vitara is a classic example of their "archaic" models. They scrapped the only decent model (which had a 3.2l V6 and 5 speed auto) and now you're stuck with a J24B with a four speed auto!? A four speed auto in 2014..... :roll:

Anyway, back to depreciation values on the Kizashi. :)
David
KuroNekko

lockdoc3 wrote:KuroNekko, you should edit sx4rocious' quote in your reply too. I just copied his edited post and pasted it over top of the original quote in my reply.

A question for both of you: Do you have any issue with me posting some of your comments and/or the thread link on my Suzuki Facebook fan page "Suzuki Auto Can-Am Fans" (https://www.facebook.com/SuzukiAutoCanAmFans)? My Canadian and American audience would love to hear what you learned and shared today.
I edited it only out of respect for sx4rocious' wishes. Truth be told, nothing this "insider" told him was secret information nor anything not already published as I stated earlier. I've read a lot of articles on Suzuki and also have access to Japanese automotive media so I've read a lot of the same stuff before. I wouldn't consider it the kind of revelation that would get anyone in trouble.
Let's also not forget Suzuki is gone from North America in terms of vehicle sales. Quite frankly, secrecy doesn't matter because they've now got nothing to lose. They've already bowed out.
If you're interested, read this "Suzuki Deathwatch" series for a lot of juicy info on Suzuki's demise in North America:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/su ... ath-watch/

This article particularly has ASMC insider details on their demise and how much Japanese executives had to do with it:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/1 ... ompetence/

Regarding your question about reposting: Go for it. I have no objection to anything I write being reposted as long as it's not being sold. When I post text, photos, write-ups, etc. on this or any other internet site, I assume that anyone can access it. Therefore, I only conduct myself in a way I wouldn't mind just about anyone seeing. This is also why you will pretty much never see my license plate in an uploaded photo. It's not that I mind other people on here seeing it. I simply take the precaution to prevent random people on the internet from viewing it. After all, some people have access to resources that can look up private info on people just with license plate numbers.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KuroNekko

murcod wrote: Ecoboost engine problems?

We get them here in various models and sizes. They even use the 2 litre Ecoboost in the local rear wheel drive Falcon (which is a large 1706kg car, 0-100km/h 6.7secs, 8.5l/100km combined consumption) , plus the Mondeo, Kuga, Focus and the 1.0l and 1.6l in the Fiesta's.

There hasn't been a single thing I've seen about any engine problems in local models. The 1.0l is winner of both the 2012 and 2013 International Engine of the Year award.

Credit where it's due. Don't let your Suzuki bias cloud your judgement.

Suzuki clearly aren't keeping pace (with all their current models) and certainly aren't competitive with their "Sport" models. Back in the late 1980's to early 1990's they had a legendary hot hatch in the original Swift GTi - nothing else since has compared. The Swift Sport has the potential- but is let down with a mediocre engine. If you're after a class leading performance hatch you'd be shopping elsewhere.

The current model Grand Vitara is a classic example of their "archaic" models. They scrapped the only decent model (which had a 3.2l V6 and 5 speed auto) and now you're stuck with a J24B with a four speed auto!? A four speed auto in 2014..... :roll:

Anyway, back to depreciation values on the Kizashi. :)
You seem to forget where Ford is from, Murcod. Let's also not forget the population and car ownership numbers between Australia and the USA. In fact, the US has nearly 10 times the number of cars than Australia has people in it. In essence, there are way more Fords in America than Australia. In fact, I bet there are more Fords on American roads than all cars in Australia. My point is that the US has many more cars for better statistics and we also apparently have better consumer protection laws which would help to expose problems like engineering issues with engines.

Regarding Ford EcoBoost issues: Consumer Reports, a US-based publication, have already rated Ford's EcoBoost models with having below average reliability. They've even stated it's due to the engine. CR is an independent publication that compiles reliability data by surveying people who own these cars. I've followed their reliability data for nearly 10 years and find their data the most valid of anything out there. Keep in mind, I don't care for CR's "Recommendations" or other opinions, but their reliability data is second to none and they are just about the only publication that buys the cars they rate.

I remember Ford even recalled EcoBoost models due to fire risks. They've even been sued over these engines for stalling issues.
However, don't take my word for it. Read for yourself:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013051 ... /130519889
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/14/nhts ... be-report/
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/26/ford ... sk-recall/

It even sounds like Ford Focus fanboys are aware of the issues in Focus STs:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/show ... p?t=326133

However, none of this should really come as a surprise.
Think about it: Ford was a "no replacement for displacement" automaker until recently. They have relatively little experience in mass production turbocharging compared to the Japanese and Germans and even they have issues with turbo reliability compared to normally aspirated engines.
Then add the complications of direct injection and you've got a lot of things that can go wrong until you have the experience to work them out.

Regarding Suzuki in comparison: I completely agree they are outperformed and outdated compared to the competition. However, there is a reason for this. Suzuki, and many other Japanese companies, are very conservative on technologies that risk reliability. They essentially value reliability like no other and will rather delay a technology until they can thoroughly test it.
Suzukis like the Swift Sport are outperformed by turbo rivals like the Fiesta ST, but the Ford can only dream of being as reliable as the Suzuki. You read the article I linked earlier about the 'Ring rental Swift Sport? You really think an EcoBoost-fitted Ford can deliver what those flogged Swift Sports did without some major issue? Given Ford's history with small cars, you can say unlikely.

About the Grand Vitara: Yes, it's severely outdated however, it's also one of the very few true SUVs remaining in the compact SUV segment. Suzuki deliberately takes this route much like Toyota with their 4Runner/Hilux. In a world choked full of softroader AWD CUVs, the GV is a real SUV with a ladder-frame and 4x4 with low gearing. It relies on old but proven technology and will take you places a Honda CRV and the like can only dream of. As a former offroader of Suzuki SUVs, I can attest to it. My Sidekick got me through places Subarus got stuck in.

So in essence, yes, Suzukis are outdone and are trailing behind in technology compared to big brands like Ford. However, you can damn well count on Suzukis still running 150,000 plus miles later while these Ford Ecoboost models will probably be in the shop or scraped with blown motors. In fact, the most reliable current Ford Fusions are the ones with 2.5 liter Duratec engines, much like the one I rented a while back. However, it's not surprising given it's a Mazda-designed, normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine. I have no doubt these Fusions will outlast their EcoBoost-fitted clones.

Lastly, Suzuki is releasing new models in 2015 so it's not like they're completely devoid of any development. They are just slow and careful which is rather common with Japanese companies. It's both good and bad but that depends on what you want and expect out of your car.
sx4rocious

KuroNekko wrote:
lockdoc3 wrote:KuroNekko, you should edit sx4rocious' quote in your reply too. I just copied his edited post and pasted it over top of the original quote in my reply.

A question for both of you: Do you have any issue with me posting some of your comments and/or the thread link on my Suzuki Facebook fan page "Suzuki Auto Can-Am Fans" (https://www.facebook.com/SuzukiAutoCanAmFans)? My Canadian and American audience would love to hear what you learned and shared today.
I edited it only out of respect for sx4rocious' wishes. Truth be told, nothing this "insider" told him was secret information nor anything not already published as I stated earlier. I've read a lot of articles on Suzuki and also have access to Japanese automotive media so I've read a lot of the same stuff before. I wouldn't consider it the kind of revelation that would get anyone in trouble.
Let's also not forget Suzuki is gone from North America in terms of vehicle sales. Quite frankly, secrecy doesn't matter because they've now got nothing to lose. They've already bowed out.
If you're interested, read this "Suzuki Deathwatch" series for a lot of juicy info on Suzuki's demise in North America:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/su ... ath-watch/

This article particularly has ASMC insider details on their demise and how much Japanese executives had to do with it:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/1 ... ompetence/

Regarding your question about reposting: Go for it. I have no objection to anything I write being reposted as long as it's not being sold. When I post text, photos, write-ups, etc. on this or any other internet site, I assume that anyone can access it. Therefore, I only conduct myself in a way I wouldn't mind just about anyone seeing. This is also why you will pretty much never see my license plate in an uploaded photo. It's not that I mind other people on here seeing it. I simply take the precaution to prevent random people on the internet from viewing it. After all, some people have access to resources that can look up private info on people just with license plate numbers.
Thanks fellas! and I agree that not only was nothing divulged that could incriminate anyone to the point of discipline, I did get a wake-up call from an automotive journalist friend of mine that stated some companies, especially Japanese, can take offense to these remarks and the last thing I want is to hurt someone trying to help me, so I corrected my error and thank you for doing so also.

As far as the information goes, I do realize it's been out there for a while. This is simply the first time I've heard it strait from the horse's mouth so to speak. Going through the warranty stuff I'm currently entangled with, it really breaks my heart to see Suzuki pull out like this. Hearing, and knowing first-hand what American auto makers think of thier customers is depressing. If any of you have read my thread about my paint issue, just having a company like Suzuki hear me out after the warranty is up really goes to show how much they believe in their products. None of the Amaerican competition would have. This is what really sells me on a car. How I'm treated before, during, and especially after the sale. I love my Suzukis, but REAL customer service like this is what would bring me back. I've had my car broken into by a Chevy employee while it was on a Chevy lot, and the dealer left me to deal with my insurance over it. I've owned a Buick that needed a $700 switch replaced 3 weeks after purchase and was told it wan't covered under any warranty because it was a normal wear item. I owned a Ford for less than a year because NOTHING about it worked as promised. I owned a Chrysler that had every break part replaced with the exception of the driver's side read caliper in less than two years and NOTHING was considered under warranty after 50,000 miles. Suzuki doesn't HAVE to do anything in my case, but they are. And they are doing it solely as a gesture of good faith. When is the last time ANYONE did that from any US automakers?
KuroNekko

US automakers won't help you because they are too busy covering up defects that can cause deaths. Cough, GM, cough, cough.

That being said, domestics are better than ever so I'll likely go for a domestic sometime given I've never owned one. However, that depends on my needs and desires. I currently want to drive an economical yet fun-to-drive midsize with a manual. What I just wrote pretty much says I can't have a domestic as Detroit, and most of American consumers, hate manuals in all but a few cars.
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:I've posted this link before but it's a testament to the Swift Sport's reliability and durability in performance-oriented driving.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/12/its- ... ental-car/
Damn, the Swift is awesome. 135hp is plenty in a small little hatch like that. I'd love to bomb around town in one of those. It's way more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow

sx4rocious

yeah, I like my manual AWD, but I would consider the CVT Kiz based on the fact that AWD now outweighs my need for a manual. I have owned probably 5 times as many domestics as imports and have no excuse why. Imports have more to offer in almost every single category. I'm a fan of US design, just not the engineering. I have to say that the new 200 is absolutely one of the most beautiful cars on the road now. I think the Dart is also (I know they are both Alfa based, so I guess they are still imports technically) I'm just wishing and hoping for import reliability. The Dart has already proven unreliably around here.

I'm also a fan of the new Fusion and Focus from Ford, and the Impala, Sonic, and Spark from Chevy. Beautiful in design, but behind on reliability so far...
KuroNekko

sx4rocious wrote:yeah, I like my manual AWD, but I would consider the CVT Kiz based on the fact that AWD now outweighs my need for a manual. I have owned probably 5 times as many domestics as imports and have no excuse why. Imports have more to offer in almost every single category. I'm a fan of US design, just not the engineering. I have to say that the new 200 is absolutely one of the most beautiful cars on the road now. I think the Dart is also (I know they are both Alfa based, so I guess they are still imports technically) I'm just wishing and hoping for import reliability. The Dart has already proven unreliably around here.

I'm also a fan of the new Fusion and Focus from Ford, and the Impala, Sonic, and Spark from Chevy. Beautiful in design, but behind on reliability so far...
The 200 is too new to rate reliability but surprisingly, the last generation 200 was very reliable and CR even ranked it higher in reliability than the Camry in 2012. No one expected that. That still couldn't save the old 200 (and its Dodge Avenger twin) from being probably the worst midsize in the segment in every other factor. Now, we have the new 200 and Chrysler kicked the Avenger to the curb. It's been discontinued.

Domestics do look good. I think all of them have made strides in making sedans appealing. I like recent designs from Ford, GM, and Chrysler which I could not say about 10 years ago.

Also, keep in mind that the small GMs are actually Daewoo products. The Cruze, Sonic, Spark, Captiva, and Buick Encore are Daewoo-engineered products. In fact, the Spark, Captiva, and Encore are even built in South Korea where Daewoo is from. This is because Daewoo is subsidiary brand of GM.
Let's not forget that Daewoo was who built the craptastic Verona, Reno, and Forenza badged as Suzukis. These new Chevys are basically their replacements.
Though they are rumored to be a lot better, I still wouldn't rank them near Japanese-level reliability or quality given their horrible track record in the past and unproven current models.

I think of all the domestics you mentioned, the new Chevy Impala is the most appealing. I'm looking to rent one sometime to check it out. I also really want to drive the new 200.
LPSISRL

I hate to say this, but had not Suzuki pulled out of the US, my 2011 SLS would never had been priced so that I could afford it. Less than $15k with bumper to bumper warranty still left on it not to mention a long time left on the power train warranty. Suzuki's demise has been my gain for sure. Otherwise I'd still be driving my SX4 or my Hyundai XG350.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
KuroNekko

LPSISRL wrote:I hate to say this, but had not Suzuki pulled out of the US, my 2011 SLS would never had been priced so that I could afford it. Less than $15k with bumper to bumper warranty still left on it not to mention a long time left on the power train warranty. Suzuki's demise has been my gain for sure. Otherwise I'd still be driving my SX4 or my Hyundai XG350.
Well, consider that I bought my 2011 Sport GTS with 7,500 miles on it for just about 15K including fees. This was a few months before Suzuki announced US bankruptcy and their intention of leaving.
I think I got a really good deal, but the Kizashi was severely undervalued even before the bankruptcy just because it was a Suzuki.

I consider the Kizashi one of the most misunderstood cars out there and many car enthusiasts seem to agree.
Jalopnik gives it some love when discussing Suzuki or "great cars no one bought".