Squeaky/rattling dashboard anyone?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
smsmart

^^ Thanks for the tips! Oh, what I would do to stop that thump! Of all the rattles it's the one that's the most consistent. The others come and go (probably due to temperature fluctuations and expanding/contracting plastics), but the thump happens everyday on the road that I take to work every morning. So annoying!

I'm a bit skeptical that it's the map lights in my situation, but I'll have a look at it this weekend. Fingers crossed!

And I agree with the CVT causing the center console to vibrate. That's actually the first thing I thought about...if the damn tranny was just a bit smoother, it wouldn't even be an issue! Personally, I've tried putting foam strips on the armrest compartment cover so that it wouldn't have any freeplay to vibrate...but the strips end up getting compressed and the thing starts buzzing again. At this point I've just given up on fixing it.
suzboy

An update.

Previously I said the dealer attempted to fix the dash rattle and it was only good for one day. I took the car into the dealership again within 2 weeks and asked them to have a look at the issue again (when the case is still fresh for them).

This time they were very aggressive. At first they were denying that they can hear the rattle, and fortunately later in the road test the rattle became loud again that they cannot deny it. They then went on and say it is common to for dash to vibrate and basically told me to live it and go away.

In order to send me away, they did try to put some silicone spray on it and pushed the dash down. Again, the fix was good for one day. The second day I drove the car the rattle came back.

That silicone spray they put on the car has a strong odour and it makes me sick. Now I have a headache (and my brain feel numb?) and I have dash that rattle.

It is so frustrating and I don't know what to do :(
2011 Mineral Grey Kizashi Prestige
murcod

Do you know where the offending mount is? You might be able to fit some thin rubber between the friction surfaces, fit a large washer over the bolt/ under the nut (if it's a bolted mount?)

Post a pic if you can.
David
jono6406

Wow, I must be one of the lucky ones because I have had my SLS since last August without one creek, rattle nor vibration ( 16.3 k miles). My Kiz runs like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I have had no other problems either.... not one (knock on wood). So far my car is perfect. (knock on wood again) and I hope it stays that way.
suzboy

murcod wrote:Do you know where the offending mount is? You might be able to fit some thin rubber between the friction surfaces, fit a large washer over the bolt/ under the nut (if it's a bolted mount?)

Post a pic if you can.
It is likely to be the location where the dash and windscreen meet. It is very tight and I doubt I can put some foam etc in between. In fact, there is already a factory foam fitted there, presumably for the purposes of preventing rubbing (hence the rattle).

The Kizashi is a fantastic car to drive, but the rattle just drive me nut. The rattle alone just make me hate the car, and unfortunately I can't really sell my car for much.
CLLee

Hi Suzboy,

This is a new discovery and see if it works for your car. I have yet to find a permanent solution and it 'seems' to be the cause of the dash/windscreen rattle.
(Yes... mine came back after disappearing for a while).
I think the rattle might be coming from the outside... the plastic 'drain thing' below the wipers.
Open the bonnet, and move that plastic around a bit. Also clear off the leaves and branches that get caught in there. Go for a drive and see if the rattle is there.
My rattle goes away 'everytime' I do that, but after a bumpy drive, it comes back.
I think there's a design flaw (as you'll see) with that section, as dirt and dust can easily build up over time under the plastic... And I reckon the rattle is from that plastic vibrating against the windscreen.

I could be wrong... :( Give it a try and tell me if you have the same symptom.

Just like you, I love this car except for this annoying rattle.
suzboy

CLLee wrote:Hi Suzboy,

This is a new discovery and see if it works for your car. I have yet to find a permanent solution and it 'seems' to be the cause of the dash/windscreen rattle.
(Yes... mine came back after disappearing for a while).
I think the rattle might be coming from the outside... the plastic 'drain thing' below the wipers.
Open the bonnet, and move that plastic around a bit. Also clear off the leaves and branches that get caught in there. Go for a drive and see if the rattle is there.
My rattle goes away 'everytime' I do that, but after a bumpy drive, it comes back.
I think there's a design flaw (as you'll see) with that section, as dirt and dust can easily build up over time under the plastic... And I reckon the rattle is from that plastic vibrating against the windscreen.

I could be wrong... :( Give it a try and tell me if you have the same symptom.

Just like you, I love this car except for this annoying rattle.
Thanks CLLee. I have tried what you've said. No leaves or branches were stuck in there, and the plastic drain seems reasonably firm.

I notice that you are also from Melbourne. Which dealer did you get your car from? I saw in your earlier post that you've tried to get them fixed but they weren't interested.

I've got mine from Markin and Luby in Heidelberg Heights.
CLLee

suzboy wrote: Thanks CLLee. I have tried what you've said. No leaves or branches were stuck in there, and the plastic drain seems reasonably firm.

I notice that you are also from Melbourne. Which dealer did you get your car from? I saw in your earlier post that you've tried to get them fixed but they weren't interested.

I've got mine from Markin and Luby in Heidelberg Heights.
I got mine from Garry Warren Smith in Oakleigh.
I have not brought up the rattling with the service department. I can see more potential issues arising from them trying to figure out the problem - ie, taking off the dash, poking here and there - which might result in more headaches for me. Unless it's a mechanical issue, I generally like to troubleshoot them myself. LOL
In general, their customer service is quite good, if they know 'you know your stuffs.'

I used to own a 2004 Mazda6 Classic hatch. Although the fit and finish of that car (mind you, it was almost 10 years ago) is not as good as the Kizashi, it's dead quite even right before I traded it in at almost 200,000km. None of these constant rattling. (Of course, there'll always be some odd ones once in a while). In comparison, the Kizashi rides smoother, handles better, better equipment level for the same price point; but not quite as "Prestige" in terms of interior ambience.

Seriously, I have decided to just live with it and enjoy the other positive aspects of the car. Most cars rattle... my uncle's Passat, my friend's Civic etc... and one $70k Lexus IS350F Sport from another car forum I frequent. :P
suzboy

Thanks CLLee.

I guess the only reason I care about the rattle is that my Kizashi is a car that I truly love and I just want it to be perfect (and heck I have spent considerable hard-earned money on it). It is more than an A to B machine for me. I have to admit I am a bit of a paranoid thought.

Looking at the post of other forum members like Smsmart, I think I should count myself lucky.

I have just ordered some felt tape from ebay. I am not sure if they will work, but worth a try.

Selling the car is an option, but since I've only had it for 3 months I will have to take a depreciation hit and this will be foolish in my opinion.....
Stodge

I test drove a 2011 SX today and it had lots of creaks from the centre console and other places. I was surprised. Anywhere I pressed on the centre console creaked. My right knee made it squeak when it bumped the side. I think it may have been an ex rental but I'm not sure. It didn't look like it had been lovingly taken care of.