What Did You Do With Your Kizashi Today?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
SamirD

Woodie wrote:
SamirD wrote:I manually turn on the lights, and I've found in most cars that if you turn off the car before turning off the lights, there's enough of an electrical difference to hurt the bulbs so that they burn out shortly after. :(
There's no rational to this whatsoever. I think your bulb just burned out.

You seem to have a lot of these "post hoc ergo propter hoc" theories SamirD, none of them hold water. Stuff just breaks, stop flailing around trying to find some innocent behavior to blame it on.
I help maintain a fleet of almost 15 cars varying from Dodge minivans to everything in the Mercedes line, most of them being my own. Short of the Porsche and Mercedes products with HIDs, I've found that having the lights on while turning off the car is one of the surest ways to shorten a halogen bulb's life. Your mileage may vary, but I don't think the Kizashi is an exception. The headlights worked perfectly fine for well over a month until I left them on. And then suddenly a bulb went out. You can call it coincidence; I'll call it expected behavior.
SamirD

bootymac wrote:This is the first time I've heard of this. Is there any science behind it?
Probably what Ronzuki and murcod talked about here:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... 059#p23059

Since the alternator is shut down when the car is shut off, there's a 'switch' to battery power for the headlights that remain on.

Maybe one of them can chime in here and explain the science behind it. It's just a fact of life for me if I leave the lights on when turning off the car.
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:I leave mine in AUTO all the time, and the bulb lasted almost 4 years ... I think this falls in the same superstition/urban myth as turning off the radio and a/c before shutting off the car.
Auto wouldn't be an issue except it just runs those useless daytime running lights. I want real headlights on. I'm sure the life would be great if I chose auto, but it doesn't meet my needs.

The radio and AC automatically cut off if on while the car is started. They have something different in their circuitry than the headlights. Headlights dim during cranking if they're turned on before the car is started while the radio and AC shut off.
bootymac

SamirD wrote:
bootymac wrote:This is the first time I've heard of this. Is there any science behind it?
Probably what Ronzuki and murcod talked about here:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... 059#p23059

Since the alternator is shut down when the car is shut off, there's a 'switch' to battery power for the headlights that remain on.

Maybe one of them can chime in here and explain the science behind it. It's just a fact of life for me if I leave the lights on when turning off the car.
Wow, I didn't know about this! Thanks for sharing
Woodie

There's a very good reason why you didn't know about this, it's not happening.

If anything, that would be a ramping down of the voltage easing the transition from on to off. I do it all the time and have never had any trouble with headlights burning out, except for cars that used the low beams as DRLs.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
~tc~

SamirD wrote: The headlights worked perfectly fine for well over a month until I left them on. And then suddenly a bulb went out. You can call it coincidence; I'll call it expected behavior.
I'm having trouble establishing causality here. My bulbs were perfectly fine for four years with leaving them on all the time (every time I pull in the garage, the auto switches from DRL to low beam).

Literally every day, my headlights have been on when I shut the car off with no problems.

Posted from tapatalk
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
SamirD

Woodie wrote:There's a very good reason why you didn't know about this, it's not happening.

If anything, that would be a ramping down of the voltage easing the transition from on to off. I do it all the time and have never had any trouble with headlights burning out, except for cars that used the low beams as DRLs.
So are you manually turning on the lights and turning off the car prior to turning off the lights? This would definitely be much different than my experience.
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:
SamirD wrote: The headlights worked perfectly fine for well over a month until I left them on. And then suddenly a bulb went out. You can call it coincidence; I'll call it expected behavior.
I'm having trouble establishing causality here. My bulbs were perfectly fine for four years with leaving them on all the time (every time I pull in the garage, the auto switches from DRL to low beam).

Literally every day, my headlights have been on when I shut the car off with no problems.

Posted from tapatalk
But you're setting them on auto. They'll turn off when the car does, hence no problems.
~tc~

That's not what you said. You said having the lights on when turned off the ignition would cause them to burn out. My lights are pretty much always on when I turn off the car.

Posted from tapatalk
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:That's not what you said. You said having the lights on when turned off the ignition would cause them to burn out. My lights are pretty much always on when I turn off the car.

Posted from tapatalk
I'm confused. :? Are you manuallying turning them on, or are they on auto? I'm talking about manually turning them on and leaving them on when you turn off the car.

Anyone that wants to experiment to confirm or deny the theory, just try it--turn your lights on manually to on (not auto), drive, come back, leave them on while you shut off the car. Do this multiple times and see if your bulbs burn out.