What if you were to lose your Kizashi?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
paininthenuts

Right, I have a question. Apparently no car with keyless entry can determine whether the key is inside or outside the car. By mistake I just left my keys in the cup holder, closed the door and tried to lock the car using the button on the door. It wouldn't lock, and I just got a single long beep, WHY ?
KuroNekko

paininthenuts wrote:Right, I have a question. Apparently no car with keyless entry can determine whether the key is inside or outside the car. By mistake I just left my keys in the cup holder, closed the door and tried to lock the car using the button on the door. It wouldn't lock, and I just got a single long beep, WHY ?
The Kizashi's key fob works as a Passive RFID (Radio Frequency Identifier). The fob and the car are communicating with each other when they are in range. Basically, if the key fob is in certain areas in or around the car, it will allow or prevent certain things. When you have the key fob within 2 feet or so around the outside of the doors, you can unlock the doors by pressing the button on the front door handles. When the key fob is inside the cabin, you can press the start button to turn on the engine. This also works to prevent you from locking yourself out of the car. The car knows the key fob is in the cabin so it overrides your action to try lock the door from the outside when the key fob is left inside the car.
It's actually a great system that makes locking your keys inside the car nearly obsolete.
However, this is all assuming the key fob works properly. Low batteries can cause range issues and may cause the RFID system to malfunction.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:Image
That front design reminds me of the current Land Rover Evoque:
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
paininthenuts wrote:Right, I have a question. Apparently no car with keyless entry can determine whether the key is inside or outside the car. By mistake I just left my keys in the cup holder, closed the door and tried to lock the car using the button on the door. It wouldn't lock, and I just got a single long beep, WHY ?
The Kizashi's key fob works as a Passive RFID (Radio Frequency Identifier). The fob and the car are communicating with each other when they are in range. Basically, if the key fob is in certain areas in or around the car, it will allow or prevent certain things. When you have the key fob within 2 feet or so around the outside of the doors, you can unlock the doors by pressing the button on the front door handles. When the key fob is inside the cabin, you can press the start button to turn on the engine. This also works to prevent you from locking yourself out of the car. The car knows the key fob is in the cabin so it overrides your action to try lock the door from the outside when the key fob is left inside the car.
It's actually a great system that makes locking your keys inside the car nearly obsolete.
However, this is all assuming the key fob works properly. Low batteries can cause range issues and may cause the RFID system to malfunction.
Terrific answer as usual KuroNekko. 8-)

I'd like to add that you can also run into similarly odd behavior if you try to close the trunk with the key in it. The trunk will simply not latch and you will find yourself repeatedly wondering what's wrong with it until you realize your wife's purse in there also has her key in it. :oops:
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:Image
That front design reminds me of the current Land Rover Evoque:
Yeah, kind of, but the rest of the Mitsu is rather original, I think:

SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:Yeah, kind of, but the rest of the Mitsu is rather original, I think:

I definitely agree with you there. You either love these views or hate them.

What I find interesting is that the rear exhaust finishers are almost identical to the Kizashi. :lol: I've actually seen these on a bunch of cars now, especially the newer models by GM (Impala, Regal).
paininthenuts

KuroNekko wrote:
Yes, they are very clever. I normally carry mine in my right pocket, but the other day the fob was in my left pocket. As a result the car went backwards :D :D :D
murcod

KuroNekko wrote: They've made the Outlander PHEV which is apparently pretty good, but is not scheduled to come to the US until later.
We've got that too. It's been out here for a couple of months.

With the price of electricity going through the roof here you'd really need to do your sums carefully. I was reading a review in a local car mag with one of the plug in vehicles as a long term vehicle - the writer basically said that it was line ball (cost wise) with a petrol vehicle. If your batteries happen to die prematurely you're up for a huge bill.....
David
SamirD

murcod wrote:If your batteries happen to die prematurely you're up for a huge bill.....
And when they do, you've got a big bill decision in front of you.

As battery technology improves, I would hope you could 'upgrade' existing cars with better batteries. I wonder if the 1st gen Prius can be upgraded like this? Hey, where are those 1st gen Priuses!?
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:
murcod wrote:If your batteries happen to die prematurely you're up for a huge bill.....
And when they do, you've got a big bill decision in front of you.

As battery technology improves, I would hope you could 'upgrade' existing cars with better batteries. I wonder if the 1st gen Prius can be upgraded like this? Hey, where are those 1st gen Priuses!?
No one really bought them, though I still see them once in a while. It was the styling of the 2nd gen that really got them popular.
murcod wrote:
KuroNekko wrote: They've made the Outlander PHEV which is apparently pretty good, but is not scheduled to come to the US until later.
We've got that too. It's been out here for a couple of months.

With the price of electricity going through the roof here you'd really need to do your sums carefully. I was reading a review in a local car mag with one of the plug in vehicles as a long term vehicle - the writer basically said that it was line ball (cost wise) with a petrol vehicle. If your batteries happen to die prematurely you're up for a huge bill.....
You guys must have insanely expensive electricity bills for a PHEV to rival an ICE vehicle in operating costs. Electricity is much less in the US than the fossil fuel equivalent, mile for mile. However, you guys have more diesel cars which offer better fuel efficiency over gasoline/petrol alternatives. Diesel cars are rare in the US.
Whats the price for diesel vs. petrol there?

In terms of my case, if I had a PHEV with a full EV range of at least 40 miles, I could commute to work and back at no cost to me. My work garage has a complimentary EV charging station. Therefore, a vehicle like a Mitsubishi PHEV SUV is very enticing to one like me. It will let me have a 4x4 SUV for offroading and utility, yet give me excellent efficiency for everyday commuting. Best of both worlds.