fuel smell

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Jasper

I have this smell of fuel inside and outside the car.
Occurs when having refuelled an stays untill tank is half full (more or less).
Not always present. Braking seems so stimulate it. Hot or cold day makes no difference.
Smell is strongest around filler, both inside and out. But I also smell it in the front.
Anyone have a similar problem ? Anyone have a solution ? or a clue?
Ventilation? pressure? clogged drain? possible failure of a part or gasket?

Thanks in advance
KuroNekko

Where do you live?
I suspect a fuel system leak and it may be the filler or gas tank. If you live in North America, did you ever take your car in for the recall regarding the spiders? The issue with that involves spiders living in the fuel/emissions system and blocking venting tubes, causing fuel tank pressure problems.
While this recall may not have been global, the species of spider that is responsible is found all around the world.
More info here:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=3203
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Jasper

I live in The Netherlands (Europe).
Car has been dealer-cared for it's first 3 years, I bought it from a non Suzuki garage.
Since I am far from a scheduled service/maintenance it is not seeing a dealer at the moment.
Will go to a dealer when maintenance is due.
No recall has been issued here in NL afaik.
Although not impossible, the spider-thing is not very likely... however, if it is I schould be able to put something in the drain/venting pipe to make it open ? Where is the drain/venting located?

Thanks for your help!
KuroNekko

Jasper wrote:I live in The Netherlands (Europe).
Car has been dealer-cared for it's first 3 years, I bought it from a non Suzuki garage.
Since I am far from a scheduled service/maintenance it is not seeing a dealer at the moment.
Will go to a dealer when maintenance is due.
No recall has been issued here in NL afaik.
Although not impossible, the spider-thing is not very likely... however, if it is I schould be able to put something in the drain/venting pipe to make it open ? Where is the drain/venting located?

Thanks for your help!
The vent tube in question is located in the wheel well of the left rear wheel. However, if the spiders are in fact responsible for the issue, you'll need more than a replacement vent tube. You'll need more of the components replaced depending on damage. Hopefully, it's a different issue but you should probably get a professional to look at it as soon as possible given the fuel odors and possible leak.
Jasper

thanks for advice.
If there is a leak, it can not be a big one. I am not notacibly loosing fuel, no drips, no meter that shows less fuel, even after 5 days of not moving the car. (in fact I am getting better and better km/l performance)
Yes, I will have a professional look at it, but for me there is no urgent need yet.
Maybe it is just the smell through the ventilation tube, as the smell is most noticable around the left rear wheel. It is also from where I approach my car when I leave, and usually I put my briefcase behind the drivers seat first, so maybe it is just me 'bringing in the smell' into the inside ...
Also it does not last all the time, and as said before I don't have when the fuel level in the tank drops below a certain level...
KuroNekko

Perhaps you have a loose filler neck or maybe even a bad gas cap. You shouldn't be smelling any gas under normal conditions. I too put my bag in the back seat behind the driver's seat but I never smell gas. I'd get this checked out given the safety concerns.
Jasper

thanks for advice. Will try to talk to dealer soon.
Jasper

Car is at the dealer today. The y found out the fuel tank is 'pretty wet' outside.
They suspect the seam to (have a) leak. When lucky it might just be a (pump)seal...
However, the theory suits my notice that it mainly occurred when tank is full/half full :(
Jasper

here's some pictures the dealer took ... underside and ( I presume) top side of the tank
Attachments
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG (237.37 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG (190.33 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG (233.63 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
Img_1368.jpg
Img_1368.jpg (254.29 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
Jasper

They found a crack in the tank, on the TOP side ! How the heck did that get there ??
IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1384.JPG (407.39 KiB) Viewed 5375 times