Swapping out the infamous CVT

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
chase24870

So let's say hypothetically my CVT just failed.

And let's say hypothetically my dealer's Suzuki mechanic agreed to try and order me a manual tranny on warranty as long as I got the rest of the parts.

Hypothetically what parts would I need to complete this swap? I know I'll need clutch, pedal, dash cluster(?), ECU, but what other mechanical tidbits do I need? Making a grocery list for my trip to the scrap yard today :lol:
golftango

Are you AWD? If so, AWD and manual transmissions are not interchangeable. Only FWD models.

Not sure you'd need a dash cluster. It's the same cluster, just the D, P, R, etc won't illuminate.

ECU, ECU wiring, is there any additional coolant piping the auto has the manual does not? Not sure, I know that sometimes they pipe in a trans cooler for automatics whereas no need for manual, so maybe different radiators too?

I think you'll need a different brake booster to accommodate the clutch fluid reservoir, clutch pedal, mounts, shift cables, linkage, center console trim for shifter...etc etc.

It's not a straight forward swap, that is obvious.
Last edited by golftango on Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
chase24870

Yep, FWD. And yeah I'm plenty aware this might be quite a hassle. But I'm willing to put the work in, at the very least for the reliability upgrade. But I can't deny that a manual isn't also 100x more fun to drive :lol:
golftango

There is an oil cooler, looks like it attaches to the radiator, so you have to consider deletion of that.

Clutch hydraulic lines, slave cylinder and I confirmed there is a different master cylinder. There is a different dash panel on the cowl for the manual too.

And my bad, there is a different cluster for the manual.

Just go through all the parts here and look for variations between auto and manual:

https://suzukicarparts.com/partlocator/ ... eid=214820
2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
KuroNekko

Personally, I'd get a new car that is a manual. I have never heard of an automatic to manual swap being worth the investment in time and money with a respectable grade of reliability. About the only ones I've heard of that got this done were stripped out track cars that had no sense of daily driver practicality.
Given the lack of parts in circulation for the Kizashi and experienced techs for this car, I think such a conversion is ill-advised.
If the CVT hypothetically failed, I'd not bother with a manual swap. I'd look for an actual manual Kizashi or another manual car.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)