Fun with LED's

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
nytq

Just put these in. Sooooooo Easy! Got led strips on ebay. $7 a pair. Wired into side markers. Finishes off the look of the car. Love it!
Attachments
IMAG0011.jpg
IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0007.jpg
IMAG0005.jpg
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
Northernstar

I think it's a little too busy for me, one strip on each side looks perfect imho
but as long as you like it~~ :)
nytq

haha. If I could have put in the 4th strip originally planned i would have.
PittsburghJoe

nytq wrote:Just put these in. Sooooooo Easy! Got led strips on ebay. $7 a pair. Wired into side markers. Finishes off the look of the car. Love it!
Looks super cool. Can you give a little more detail on how to wire in to side markers? And speaking of side markers I remember reading on here a few months ago about side marker covers and but couldn't find the thread in my searches. Thanks and nice work.

Joe
nytq

I just tapped into the +/- leads going to the side markers (yellow) about 1 foot away from the installation. There are only 2 wires on each side, and they are red and black so easy to identify. I used these wire splice connectors to keep it clean and made sure everything was finished off with electrical tape. I also bought 2 extra led strips just incase of failure, since they were cheapos from china.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180916754920?ss ... 1439.l2649
PittsburghJoe

nytq wrote:I just tapped into the +/- leads going to the side markers (yellow) about 1 foot away from the installation. There are only 2 wires on each side, and they are red and black so easy to identify. I used these wire splice connectors to keep it clean and made sure everything was finished off with electrical tape. I also bought 2 extra led strips just incase of failure, since they were cheapos from china.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180916754920?ss ... 1439.l2649
Hi nytq,

I'm definitely going to do this. 2 questions though if you don't mind. First I'm guessing you don't never had fog lights? Secondly do you access the side marker wires from underneath by taking off the plastic guards? I only have 4k on my kizzy so I haven't even changed the oil yet. I popped the hood today and didn't see access to them from the top but I'm guessing access from underneath is the way to go.

Thanks again,

Joe
nytq

1) I did not have fog lights

2) I had to remove the bumper. This sounds intimidating, but it is really easy. Just screws along the bottom, a couple in the wheel wells, and 3 on top of the grille. Just pops off.

You pretty much have to do this as the fog grilles are screwed in from the back. It will be much easier for you to access and do the wiring this way.

I changed out my horns at the time with El Grande's. Also very easy, just remove and replace.
topcat45

That looks awesome mate. Would you still have the ebay link for the LED strips. You blokes in the US must have different regulations to us here in Australia. I did have some mounted but a few of the LED's failed & I removed them because they looked stupid. Here we just hot wire them into the back relay in the relay box & they come on with the ignition.
nytq

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-New-30cm-505 ... 25723cc971

Have to say I'm impressed that these have not had any problems. I still have 2 extra strips just in case of a failure, but I've been running these in all sorts of weather at least 10 hours a week with no issue yet (knock on wood LOL)

As far as wiring.... completely up to the individual.

Enjoy!