install OEM paddle shifter on Kizashi DLX steering wheel

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SAEED_KIZZY

I managed to buy a used paddle shifter from eBay last month. my car did not equip with a paddle shifter and I always wanted to have one, unfortunately, the cost for a new one is around 850$ and used one for 200$ so I found a used paddle shifter from eBay 40$ which is the acceptable price so I bought it.
1.jpg
The paddle shifter uses a 4 pin connector, pin 2 and 3 are connected when the paddle is pressed.
7.jpg
today to install it on my car. here is how I do it
1- remove the steering wheel to do that I use a special steering wheel remover.
2- remove 3 bolts of the horn plate.
3.jpg
3.jpg (125.24 KiB) Viewed 6356 times
3- remove the plastic back cover by releasing 4 claws
2.jpg
4- remove the front plastic cover by unscrew 4 self-tapping bolts
5.jpg
4.jpg
5- remove knobs and cables
6.jpg
6- now time for wiring: I add 2 wires into clock sprint connector pin 8 and 11 and also tap into pin 2 for GND wire. wire 8,2 for up(or down I do not remember :() and 11,2 for down(up)
8.jpg
7- next comes the fun part cutting back plastic cover to install paddle shifter
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
8- screw the paddle on the steering wheel with this bolt (need 2 bolts)
12.jpg
9- reinstall steering wheel parts and install them on the car
13.jpg
and for testing, I connect scan tool SDT2 and go to TCM and see up/Down paddle shifter status while pressing them
14.jpg
15.jpg
and then road tested it worked great and it feels good :D
Last edited by SAEED_KIZZY on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old tech

Nice job. If you could have found a complete wheel with paddles, it would have included everything needed to make this work correct?
SAEED_KIZZY

old tech wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:33 pm Nice job. If you could have found a complete wheel with paddles, it would have included everything needed to make this work correct?
Thanks, Yes If the wheel is equipped with a paddle shifter it just plug and play.
SAEED_KIZZY

quick update:
it turns out the paddle shifter has a build-in LED for clearance mode pin 1: Negative and pin 4: Positive also needed to wire and backlight for the paddle shifter also activated :D
photo_2021-07-22_19-16-15.jpg
makanaky

Crazy stuff man. Are you an engineer ? :) Really enjoy this content.
SAEED_KIZZY

makanaky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:08 pm Crazy stuff man. Are you an engineer ? :) Really enjoy this content.
Yes, I am actually an electronic engineer :)