Kizashi Club

Your Kizashi Owners Club and Forum 

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
 #18771  by FrankoLaMoya
 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:31 am
Does anyone know how to replace the side marker covers and where to find clear OEM replacement or clear universal side marker cover? Mine are orange, but I want them clear... Thanks in advance for your help peeps!
 #20734  by quickzilverfox
 Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:28 am
I upgraded my hi & low beams to HID this weekend and had a look at the side turn indicators while I was at it. They are not difficult to get out, but once you remove the clear plastic housing from the chrome trim, it looks like that is as far as you can go without breaking the clear plastic top off the white plastic base to get at the bulb. I think you could probably put it back together with some superglue, but I didn't feel like risking breaking it and having to order a new one.
 #20740  by KuroNekko
 Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:18 am
quickzilverfox wrote:I upgraded my hi & low beams to HID this weekend and had a look at the side turn indicators while I was at it. They are not difficult to get out, but once you remove the clear plastic housing from the chrome trim, it looks like that is as far as you can go without breaking the clear plastic top off the white plastic base to get at the bulb. I think you could probably put it back together with some superglue, but I didn't feel like risking breaking it and having to order a new one.


I think he's talking about the side markers which are the orange reflector/lights on the sides of the front bumper, not part of the headlight. The ones in the headlight are turn signal bulbs. The side markers serve a different purpose and illuminate orange to show the front side of the car when lights are on. Most cars integrate the turn signal with the side marker (these models use a two-filament bulb), but the Kizashi has position bulbs instead which can only be seen from the front. This is why Suzuki had to install side markers in markets that require them by law (the US).

The Kizashi was a car designed for the global market and I see a lot of JDM trends in the design. In Japan, side markers are not required and JDM Kizashis don't have them. The Kizashi also features position bulbs (those tiny bulbs under the high beam bulbs which are actually NOT the DRLs) which are popular and useful in Japan, but almost have no use in the US due to different driving etiquette regarding headlights.
 #20744  by Ronzuki
 Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:22 pm
FrankoLaMoya wrote:Does anyone know how to replace the side marker covers and where to find clear OEM replacement or clear universal side marker cover? Mine are orange, but I want them clear... Thanks in advance for your help peeps!


The front side markers are a complete assembly. If the bulb goes out, you're replacing the entire thing, lens and all. If your lens is broken, you'll need to obtain the entire assembly I would imagine. A member on here had successfully, and painstakingly, disassembled one and replaced a burned out bulb. He did a very nice write-up on removal, replacement and installation. It is probably in the how-to section somewhere.
 #20752  by bootymac
 Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm
Ronzuki wrote:
FrankoLaMoya wrote:Does anyone know how to replace the side marker covers and where to find clear OEM replacement or clear universal side marker cover? Mine are orange, but I want them clear... Thanks in advance for your help peeps!


The front side markers are a complete assembly. If the bulb goes out, you're replacing the entire thing, lens and all. If your lens is broken, you'll need to obtain the entire assembly I would imagine. A member on here had successfully, and painstakingly, disassembled one and replaced a burned out bulb. He did a very nice write-up on removal, replacement and installation. It is probably in the how-to section somewhere.


Wow, I had no idea the side markers were a complete unit. I assumed they were simply housings for the bulb to plug into
 #20781  by quickzilverfox
 Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:06 am
KuroNekko wrote:
quickzilverfox wrote:I upgraded my hi & low beams to HID this weekend and had a look at the side turn indicators while I was at it. They are not difficult to get out, but once you remove the clear plastic housing from the chrome trim, it looks like that is as far as you can go without breaking the clear plastic top off the white plastic base to get at the bulb. I think you could probably put it back together with some superglue, but I didn't feel like risking breaking it and having to order a new one.


I think he's talking about the side markers which are the orange reflector/lights on the sides of the front bumper, not part of the headlight. The ones in the headlight are turn signal bulbs. The side markers serve a different purpose and illuminate orange to show the front side of the car when lights are on. Most cars integrate the turn signal with the side marker (these models use a two-filament bulb), but the Kizashi has position bulbs instead which can only be seen from the front. This is why Suzuki had to install side markers in markets that require them by law (the US).

The Kizashi was a car designed for the global market and I see a lot of JDM trends in the design. In Japan, side markers are not required and JDM Kizashis don't have them. The Kizashi also features position bulbs (those tiny bulbs under the high beam bulbs which are actually NOT the DRLs) which are popular and useful in Japan, but almost have no use in the US due to different driving etiquette regarding headlights.


Actually, he is talking about the side marker bulbs and so was I...as I mentioned, I was working on HID upgrade on my headlights and saw this post, so decided to check out the side marker bulbs as I already had the front bumper off and easier access to the wheel-wells to get at the side marker bulbs from behind. I was wanting to "upgrade" them to stealth bulbs as well, but it is not possible without breaking the clear top off the white base of each side marker assembly...and that is after you carefully remove the chrome bezel from the units.

BTW, the tiny bulbs (5w5 aka 168) in the headlamp assemblies are the parking & DLR lights...they are only on alone in "parking lights" mode, on with the hi-beams at low output in DLR mode and on with lo-beam or hi-beam operation.
 #20792  by KuroNekko
 Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:52 pm
quickzilverfox wrote:Actually, he is talking about the side marker bulbs and so was I...as I mentioned, I was working on HID upgrade on my headlights and saw this post, so decided to check out the side marker bulbs as I already had the front bumper off and easier access to the wheel-wells to get at the side marker bulbs from behind. I was wanting to "upgrade" them to stealth bulbs as well, but it is not possible without breaking the clear top off the white base of each side marker assembly...and that is after you carefully remove the chrome bezel from the units.

BTW, the tiny bulbs (5w5 aka 168) in the headlamp assemblies are the parking & DLR lights...they are only on alone in "parking lights" mode, on with the hi-beams at low output in DLR mode and on with lo-beam or hi-beam operation.


I really think he is talk about the side markers (the orange reflectors with bulbs in them on the BUMPER) and you are talking about the SIDE TURN SIGNAL which are the orange bulbs in the clear housing on the fenders (originally, I thought you meant the turn signal bulbs INSIDE the headlight.)
For clarification, see picture below.

Also, I am well aware of the tiny position bulbs. In fact, I've replaced mine with PIAA LEDs and did a write-up on it. However, they are NOT DRLs. The DRLs on the Kizashi are the high beam bulbs at lower wattage. Position bulbs exist on the Kizashi because they are used as actual "position bulbs" in Japan.
In Japan, there is an etiquette of turning off your headlights at intersections at night while you wait. The idea is to reduce light pollution and strain on the eyes of other drivers. However, you still need some light to indicate that your car is there (position of the car). Therefore, these "position bulbs" come into play. They illuminate when you turn off your low beams, but keep the switch in the parking mode.

They are somewhat useless here because North American Kizashis have DRLs and the high beams illuminate at low wattage whenever the headlights are not on. In Japan, the Kizashi does not have DRLs so position bulbs have a stand-alone purpose.
You basically can only get the position bulbs to illuminate alone in our NA Kizashis if the handbrake is engaged or the engine is off. This is when the DRLs do not come on, but the other lights can.
See the picture below of my LED position bulbs on without the DRLs. What you see are the tiny position bulbs alone and no other lights on inside the headlight. The DRLs of the high beam bulb are OFF. Notice the side markers are also on. The handbrake was up or the engine was off for the DRL not to be on in this picture.
Attachments
suzuki-concept-kizashi-turbo-2010-1.jpg
Side marker vs. side-mounted turn signal
suzuki-concept-kizashi-turbo-2010-1.jpg (117.59 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
Kizashi headlights 005.jpg
PIAA LED 6000K Position bulbs.
Kizashi headlights 005.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
 #20793  by Ronzuki
 Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:03 pm
In my earlier comment I was referring to the fender/side turn signal...amber bulb w/ clear lens.
 #48234  by PittsburghJoe
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 pm
Hi All,

Interesting reads. I just had a bulb go out on my side marker. I have read through the whole thread but I didn't see where it said how to replace it. I've changed headlight bulbs and am familiar with removing the bumper and think maybe that is the method to get to these side marker bulbs but I've also seen other vehicles that similar fixtures just pop out of the bumper and are held in with pressure. So do I need to drop the bumper or pop it out?

Thanks. I love what you guys do on this board.