Rrm turbo ?

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
Armykizyguy92

Hey guys,

I've been really wanting to do a turbo on my '11 Kizzy sport sls mt and have been wondering if rrm has worked out all the bugs in there system. I.e like it throughing computer codes and shutting the car off and stuff. Or should I try and find a good priced universal kit if any fit and work that you guys might know of ? I've talked to rob at rrm and I like what I hear just not the whole 5k part. The army dont pay me that good lol.
Current "stage 2" 2015 wrx base world rally blue

Previous 2011 Kizzy Sport SLS FWD 6-Spd
Custom exhaust, 20% tint
Soon to have H&R springs and Stage 2 turbo from RRM
murcod

There would be a lot of R&D done by RRM on that kit to get it working properly ( I assume it does work properly?) So 5k isn't too bad compared to having to DIY everything from scratch IMHO.
David
KuroNekko

Call me a lame pessimist but I think aftermarket turbos are the fastest way to a blown-up engine and a junked car. Maybe it's because I've seen my fair share of videos and photos of destroyed engines belonging to tuner boys, but the logic is simple:
Bolting a turbo on an engine in a car not intended for one is pretty much asking for trouble. The engine and transmission components were not designed to handle the increased pressures and heat.
If you don't care for your car to last long nor be very reliable then a turbo might be an interesting investment. However, kiss your warranty, reliability, longevity, and MPGs goodbye.

While the Kizashi's chassis can handle the extra power, I am not convinced the engine and transmission can for very long without further mods. Personally, if I was going to turbocharge my motor, I'd look into everything from upgraded cams, connecting rods, water pump, fuel pump, injectors, clutch, etc. Of course, most of them don't exist for this car. Not to mention, the RRM turbo is known to increase the Kizashi's hp to about 270. It's available only for the manual FWD. 270 hp on a FWD not built for a turbo may result in some torque steer as well.

Honestly, if you crave more power, ditch the car altogether and get a more powerful ride; one that was designed and built from the factory with a turbo. The Subaru WRX/STI and Mitsubishi Evo come to mind as AWD powerhouses. Even FWDs like the GTI, Mazdaspeed3, or Focus ST would be a performance upgrade from the Kizashi.

While I don't mean to diss your dreams if you wanted to boost your Kizashi, I'd hate to hear of your beloved ride going from a reliable fun-to-drive car to one plagued by problems and in some shop most of the time, especially after 5 grand. The lack of turbo Kizashis among owners here does not help in determining how reliable these cars would be if one was to bolt one on.

The only mod I am interested in is getting a short-throw shifter. And of course, no one seems to make one for the Kizashi. :x
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

KuroNekko, don't be such a spoilsport! :D Most of those blown up conversions were probably done using bits and pieces in a backyard - not professionally done. Or the owners wound up the boost and drove them like rental cars. ;)

I put a Jap spec CB70 turbo engine into a 1984 model G11 Daihatsu Charade. It went from 42hp at the wheels to over 75kW (running only 6lb boost.) This was fed through the stock gearbox's original diff centre and driveshafts. Most of the time I drove it sensibly, but I did take it to the 1/4 mile drag strip once and ran 15.4 seconds - from a 993cc three cylinder engine! The fact it weighed only around 630kg helped. That diff centre and the driveshafts survived wheel spin through first and second gear numerous times...... The biggest issue was finding engine mounts that would last.

Driven sensibly, there's no reason why the Kizashi turbo kit from RRM wouldn't last. You would want the boost limited to sensible levels (ie. less than 6lb?) You would have to drive it with respect and use top quality lubricants and fuels. The most important thing is to use a properly researched kit. If the EFI side of the engine isn't reprogrammed (and modified to suit) then the engine won't last 5 minutes. Things like cooler spark plugs, less ignition timing, more fuel pressure/ longer injector pulse widths etc etc all need to be considered.

It's not for me, but I'd love to see someone on here do it. For inspiration, read this: http://www.caradvice.com.au/125400/suzu ... bo-review/
David
murcod

David
KuroNekko

I'm not opposed to it, but the idea of turbocharging the Kizashi when it's your only car is a little scary to me. It's one thing to get a car that was already a turbo and then tune it. It's another to bolt on a turbo to an engine never intended for one.

I'd consider turbocharging a Kizashi if I had over 10 grand to play with AND if I had another car. Basically, only if the Kizashi was like a project car. I just don't think it's feasible for most people given the car is probably their only ride. Also, if 5 grand for the turbo alone is a bit much, then the whole idea should be scrapped. It will realistically cost a lot more to have the car running properly and also have some reserve money for when problems arise. Realistically, there is more you'd want to upgrade than just adding the turbo.

Like I already said, if one wants more power, you should just get a more powerful car. That option is far more reliable and probably cheaper too.
It reminds me of one of our former members here who craved more power. He opted to sell his Kizashi to get a VW CC instead. Personally, I'd go for a WRX or Lan Evo. These cars are not only factory turbos, but also have a plethora of quality aftermarket parts to handle the increased power from tuning. The Kizashi, not so much.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote: While I don't mean to diss your dreams if you wanted to boost your Kizashi, I'd hate to hear of your beloved ride going from a reliable fun-to-drive car to one plagued by problems and in some shop most of the time, especially after 5 grand. The lack of turbo Kizashis among owners here does not help in determining how reliable these cars would be if one was to bolt one on.
Agreed. Not a lot of information on the kit, even from RRM themselves. The only experience I've heard of this kit was some guy trying to sell his Kizashi with it. He said it was plagued with issues. If I can find the thread here, I'll post it.

Unless you have serious knowledge of forced induction and everything that goes with it, I'd pass.
murcod

If RRM have done their job properly the kit shouldn't have any bugs- that's why you'd buy from them. But, if they haven't done it properly....... well enough said!

IMHO their kit would be better with a complete replacement of the engine ECU. Piggy back type systems have never seemed like a good idea to me (trying to "fool" the original ECU into thinking some sensor parameter is different or modifying the stock ECU output just isn't right IMHO.) Realistically (from what I've seen) there doesn't seem to be anyone around with enough knowledge to "crack" the factory ECU. That would be the ideal situation- to change a few sensors and reprogram the stock ECU.

I agree, the ideal way is to buy something suitable from day 1- but it's great to see what lengths someone with passion for a particular vehicle will go to. I bought the Kizashi knowing it was never going to be a straight line bullet. It's too easy to lose your licence over here with speed cameras everywhere, so I'm happy to enjoy the handling (with some improvements in that area instead.) I would like to improve the exhaust system, but that's about as much as I'd personally consider doing.
David
Armykizyguy92

I've talked with rrm about that guy. He took it to some shop who thought they knew what they where doing and didn't follow the instructions to a t. And apperantly they had one featured on speed tv that has no issues cuz it was installed right.
Current "stage 2" 2015 wrx base world rally blue

Previous 2011 Kizzy Sport SLS FWD 6-Spd
Custom exhaust, 20% tint
Soon to have H&R springs and Stage 2 turbo from RRM
Wonson92

I've always been a bit stumped by the Kizashi Apex turbo? I assume it isn't a retail kit but I don't understand why when i'm quite sure it was favoured over the RRM kit for power and quality? RRM claims 290hp/216kw, Apex claims 300hp/224kw.

2011 Premium Silver XL

Learn. Do. Break. Fix. Explore. Save. Repeat