RRM Rear Sway Bar Bushings Issue

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
KuroNekko

I've decided to create a thread about the RRM sway bar bushings given that I'm having an issue with their lubrication. I just re-applied grease (Super Lube this time) to them about a month ago but they are now squeaking heavily again. What caused it was the rain from Hurricane Joaquin. Given that I've tried both Sil-Glyde then Super Lube, which are both very reputable synthetic greases, I think the bushings are faulty. It seems that after heavy rainfall or chassis cleaning, the bushings squeak shortly after. This means they get water in them easily which then drives out the grease.
I think the design of the RRM bushings (made by Progress) is actually the cause. They have small grooves in them that I believe allows water in the channels and also gives space for the grease to get pushed out. They also wear out easily and mine have signs of wear in the grooves.
I did some research and it looks like a number of Progress sway bar bushings have this design and they aren't highly regarded.
I'm now going to relube the bushings for a 3rd time and will be looking for upgraded replacement bushings in the meanwhile.
I found this thread below at a Civic forum on Progress vs. Moog bushings so I'll be doing a similar sort of upgrade. You can see in the photos that these Progress bushings have the same design with the grooves as found in the Kizashi's RRM bushings.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/rear- ... ade.10188/

I was wondering if anyone else was having issues with their RRM sway bar bushings. Mine wore rather easily and really can't hold grease after some water exposure.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Kazuki

My bushings are pretty much shot. They started squeaking very soon after installing my RRM sway bar. If I relubed, the squeaking would stop for a short time, but would always come back. Over time the squeaking has given way to clunking/thumping. I can still quiet everything down by adding more lube, but it only lasts a few commutes before the clunks come back. I've also noticed I can't tear around corners as fast as before and the car isn't is as flat or controlled when hitting the curves on the back highways.

So yeah, I'm looking for new bushings too.
2011 SE AWD -Deep Sea Blue Metallic- Build date 9/10
2016 Scion iA -Sapphire- Build date 12/15
ImageImage
bootymac

Believe it or not but those grooves are there to help retain grease. Try using a marine grease as they should be more resistant to water washout. Aqualube is the best from my experience; it's extremely tacky and water resistant.

If you still want to replace the bushings, get bushings and brackets with zerk fittings so you can grease them without disassembly.
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Believe it or not but those grooves are there to help retain grease. It doesn't help if the grease being used is no good though. I recommend using a marine grease as they have much better resistance against water washout. Aqualube is the best from my experience; it's extremely tacky and water resistant.

If you still want to replace the bushings, get bushings and brackets with zerk fittings so you can grease them without disassembly.
Yeah, it would seem that the grooves would help with retaining the grease but it doesn't in practice for me. It may be due to the fact that the grooves are worn. There is even wear on my sway bar and it looks very similar to this picture from the Civic thread: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img836/6915/4wsv.jpg
Regardless, I'm looking to replace the bushings as I'm quite sure they will allow water to enter and expel the grease from the constant friction and the worn grooves. Another reason to get rid of them is discussed in the Civic thread. These Progress bushings are apparently not as rigid as they ought to be. There are aftermarket bushings that are simply more firm and also do a better job of not squeaking. The Civic guys talk about Moog bushings so I'll look into those. I actually installed an aftermarket Moog drag link on my VW bus and it was a quality product. It worked wonders for the steering. Otherwise, I may look at Energy polyurethane bushings. They offer some with Zerk fittings but the problem is that it's harder to find specialized grease for grease guns. I already have a squeeze tube of Super Lube so I don't mind getting normal bushings as long as they don't squeak after every time it rains. It also sounds like the Moogs aren't polyurethane so they are squeak-resistant.

I'll post an update on my findings/purchase after I take some measurements for a universal fit. I know the sway bar diameter is 19mm, but I want to make sure the bushings and brackets will be the correct size so I can use the RRM mount that came with the sway bar.
bootymac

The Moog bushings do look promising! Keep us updated
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:The Moog bushings do look promising! Keep us updated
I'll order these tonight.
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k90394

The Lateral Locks under 'Suggested Parts' look interesting but I don't think my driving would make much use of them.
Woodie

I think there are lateral locks on the sway bar already.

I do like that they are black. Planning on upgrading the suspension on the Firefly but I want to keep it looking stock.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

Woodie wrote:I think there are lateral locks on the sway bar already.
There aren't on mine. These are the lateral locks I'm talking about. One side of the sway bar has the stops but the other side doesn't so these lateral locks can help prevent movement. However, given the cost, I only think it's worthwhile if one is an autocrosser or frequently drives on a track.
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/dll120
bootymac

There are plates that function the same as the locks: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2977
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:There are plates that function the same as the locks: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2977
I know, but the inside is open and that's where one should install the lateral locks. The plates are only on the outsides.