Kizashi Club

Your Kizashi Owners Club and Forum 

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
 #23393  by SamirD
 Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:41 am
sx4rocious wrote:my in-laws got me this for Christmas: http://www.harborfreight.com/120-led-re ... 60793.html

Unreal how handy it really is!!!!
Oooooo...the lightsabre one. 8-) That's a pretty decent price for something that handy. Would it put out some good ambient light say laying under the car during an oil or diff change?
 #23394  by SamirD
 Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:08 am
KuroNekko wrote:Never heard of Nebo flashlights. Maybe check up on them at http://www.candlepowerforums.com. This is a forum of flashlight enthusiasts (yes, they exist and I recently joined :ugeek: ). I'm looking to revive an old Streamlight Scorpion to a LED conversion so I need the advice of these guys given OEM parts in doing so are nil.

Harbor Freight Tools is the best. I discovered them way too late (only about a year ago). I've always heard of them, but never found a store until recently. Mind was blown.
They are the place where you can find pro-grade tools yet for decent prices.
Examples: I wanted to OWN a brake caliper service kit. Many rear caliper pistons require special tools to compress them. Autozone and other auto parts store have kits you can borrow, but they don't sell them. HFT does. In fact, they are the ONLY place that does.

I was also looking for left-hand drill bits. These are drill bits that cut while turning counterclockwise. They are great for drilling out stuck bolts and screws. Home Depot did not sell them. Lowes did not sell them. A Milwaukee Tools store did not sell them. Harbor Freight Tool? Of course.

Their prices are very good too and they love to cram your mailbox and email inbox full of coupons. Can't complain.
I love how there's a forum for everything. :lol: I actually know the owner of a huge chicken farming forum, and ran into a professional snow plower forum earlier last month. 8-)

I'd be wary about Harbor Freight quality though. A lot of their tools are great for one or two uses, but they're not tools pros or experienced hobbiests rely on. Hence the parody:
Image
Image
Image
 #23395  by SamirD
 Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:11 am
KuroNekko wrote:I think it depends on what it is. Their power tools look like crap. I'd agree with you there and I went with Makitas from Home Depot.
However, with other things like the brake kit, bleeders, and jacks, they are the place to go. They also simply sell stuff others don't which makes the most difference.
For example, I got solid rubber wheel chocks from them. Auto parts stores only sell the hollow plastic ones or the collapsible metal kind. I've had the VW bus roll over (just by gravity) and completely crush a plastic wheel chock. It showed how useless they were. After that, I bought solid rubber ones from HFT. You can't find something like that anywhere else and I've looked.
I agree with you on the wheel chocks, but not on the jacks or jack stands. A friend of mine had a stand fail on him and luckily he's tiny and the truck was huge, or his daughter and wife would have been widowed:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=7257
 #23405  by sx4rocious
 Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:13 am
I agree that you have to really watch what you buy from HF, however the light bar I got for Christmas seems to work WONDERFULLY for what I will use it for. I also have a pressure washer from there that seems to be of rather high quality compared to the same-ish model from Walmart.

The point is, things I will use regularly and depend greatly on (socket sets, screwdrivers, etc...) I will pay the higher price for higher quality. Stuff I use once in a great while (circular saw, rotary grinder, etc...) I'll save some money and buy from HF. If it breaks, I'll take it back for a refund\replacement. After all, I'm not real handy around the house, so I don't use tools that much...
 #23406  by sx4rocious
 Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:17 am
and SamirD, I had to steal you ad and send it to a couple friends!! that's some funny stuff right there!! And yes, the light bar (Ironically, I have nick-named it the light saber and even have a current FB profile pic of me holding it lit up in my best Luke Skywalker pose!!) would provide PLENTY of lighting for working under the car. It has two settings and even the lower setting is enough to light up my enormous dining room. BTW, it even comes with a car charger!!
 #23427  by SamirD
 Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:54 am
sx4rocious wrote:The point is, things I will use regularly and depend greatly on (socket sets, screwdrivers, etc...) I will pay the higher price for higher quality. Stuff I use once in a great while (circular saw, rotary grinder, etc...) I'll save some money and buy from HF. If it breaks, I'll take it back for a refund\replacement. After all, I'm not real handy around the house, so I don't use tools that much...
And I think that's what HF is great for. When it's critical, you'll always look for quality, but there are times when you just need something once and you don't need the tool that will work more than once or twice. That's HF. 8-)
 #23428  by SamirD
 Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 am
sx4rocious wrote:and SamirD, I had to steal you ad and send it to a couple friends!! that's some funny stuff right there!! And yes, the light bar (Ironically, I have nick-named it the light saber and even have a current FB profile pic of me holding it lit up in my best Luke Skywalker pose!!) would provide PLENTY of lighting for working under the car. It has two settings and even the lower setting is enough to light up my enormous dining room. BTW, it even comes with a car charger!!
Wasn't mine as I found it on the Internet. :mrgreen:

Great to hear that's a super light. I think I may have to pick one up since it's on sale. 8-)
 #23465  by KuroNekko
 Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:47 pm
~tc~ wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:I think it depends on what it is. Their power tools look like crap. I'd agree with you there


Anything that plugs in is pretty much crap ... The more "sophisticated" the bigger its crap.

KuroNekko wrote:However, with other things like the brake kit, bleeders, and jacks, they are the place to go.


No, that stuff is all crap too, but you probably won't use it often enough to realize it or to be worth paying more for a good one.

KuroNekko wrote:They also simply sell stuff others don't which makes the most difference.
For example, I got solid rubber wheel chocks from them. Auto parts stores only sell the hollow plastic ones or the collapsible metal kind. I've had the VW bus roll over (just by gravity) and completely crush a plastic wheel chock. It showed how useless they were. After that, I bought solid rubber ones from HFT. You can't find something like that anywhere else and I've looked.


This is the kind of stuff that makes it interesting to go there ... Stuff you never knew you needed, but can't live without once you have it. Also, things that you know are going to get torn up or lost, and don't want to spend a lot for.

I'm a big Craftsman fan for hand tools.


Well, sure, I'm not convinced that the stuff from HFT is the best quality, but for the price and availability they can't be beat. The brake kit I got was nearly identical to what I've seen my local mechanics using. On top of that, no one else sells them in a store. Sure, you can get one online, but when my daily driver is on jack stands and needs to be running tomorrow, I'm not going to hit up Amazon and wait around for UPS. Same story with the left-hand drill bits. No one else had them, even in a fricking Milwaukee power tools store!

Also, I like Craftsman quite a bit and have a number of their Made in USA tools. However, I've had a number of them fail and I've had to exchange them under their glorious lifetime warranty. However, with Sears on the brink of death, I'm not too sure Craftsman has much of a bright future. They are the Mitsubishi of department stores.
 #23487  by ~tc~
 Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:40 am
My wife and I met through four wheeling our trucks. All of her tools are HF. I can guarantee you if you have problems breaking Craftsman tools, you will be going through the HF with reckless abandon.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 9